Sears - Sears once had an awesome culture. Then Eddie Lampert happened. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Sears once had an awesome culture. Then Eddie Lampert happened."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In commission sales areas scheduling is very flexible and as long as you consistently hit your monthly sales goals it's a low pressure work environment. The employee discount, when combined with Sears' ridiculous clearance prices can be pretty sweet. I've bought several TVs and appliances for hundreds of dollars below cost.

Cons

I've worked in several stores in different regions of Oregon over a period of eight years and while the management at the store level is generally competent the higher levels: district, region, and corporate are out of touch and seem to be more interested in politics and maneuvering than actually helping the stores stay profitable.

In the consultative selling areas the commission structure has been gutted so badly that all the top sales guys have started jumping ship. If you compensate a salesperson like they were nothing more than a cashier, that's what you'll end up with.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to go back to what worked. When I started at Sears, before it ever became Sears Holdings Corporation, we had an amazing culture and a compensation structure that ensured retention of the absolute best salespeople. In 2005 when you enacted all the policies around "Sowing the Seeds of Corporate Culture," what you actually did was destroy a thriving, productive culture in your attempts to make all the stores the same.

Also, don't try to compete on price. Price is not what set Brand Central apart from the other guys. It was personalized consultative selling by knowledgeable and friendly salespeople.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Hard work, but a great experience."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Working with a variety of people.
    -Ability to see how your direct impact can influence a business or the store as a whole.
    -Creating a difference in each employees' performance and career growth.

Cons

-Scheduling. No work/life balance.
    -Lack of availability to take vacation or time off.

2. "hORRIBLE"

Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none at all. Worst place to work

Cons

Base your schedule and job on credit app. They do not care about the employees. They just want credit apps. Plus my cashier manager keeps hitting the back of my head. Low Pay. No thank you.