Sears - Don't make it a career! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Don't make it a career!"

Former Employee - Brand Central Sales in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Brand Central Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for students and for seasonal holiday help in commissioned sales.
Department managers and most leads pretty good to work with, unless they are SHC Career Lifer wannabes, then they are uncaring robots
Most employees share a we are all in it together and there is good comraderie amongst peers

Cons

You cannot survive and make a career at sales with this company in present enviroment, only stars are tenured reps that have taken a commission beating at ownership whim.
HR lead, just another lead, no HR experience needed none delivered
stuck in the 80's mentality regarding promos, marketing, indifference to competition in the marketplace regarding value of customers in/thru the store vs price to bring those customers in and retain or convert them

Advice to Management

Bring back the old days, when sales at Sears could be a career
Senior Management (SM,BCM,ASM) very good

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. ""I worked at K-Mart, and it was a horrible experience!""

Current Employee - Team Member Associate in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member Associate in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably the good thing about the job is that you gain retail experience and you can transition your experiences into another better job in retail. Also if you are friendly person then you can get along with other employees and some managers. Plus, it is a good job for high school and college students to have some extra spending money.

Cons

Now I cannot speak for all K-Mart stores except the one located in Oakwood Plaza (Hollywood, FL).
    - Training is very poor. When I started there, I was suppose to learn how to use a cash register but then they moved me into another department such as toys and I do not have any knowledge whatsoever on toys.
    - For the rest of those days, all I did was pull in K-Mart's shopping carts. They did not move to any other departments. I want a position where I can work in different departments and this K-Mart store did not offer me any opportunities.
    - Customers are so rude to you. They complain about everything. Watching senior citizens push their shopping carts is such a drag.
    - You are always on your feet.
    - Some team members are lethargic at helping. There will be times where you will work alone and no one is going to help you.
    - The pay is worthless especially if you got bills and other obligations to pay for.
    - In Oakwood Plaza you have BJ's Wholesale Club. If they got you working on carts, not only do you have deal with K-Mart's shopping carts, but BJ's shopping carts as well. You must take those BJ's shopping carts and move those carts over to that store. You can blame it on customers for bringing those BJ's carts over to K-Mart. And yes, even employees use their carts which makes no sense to me.
    - Your hours will vary and there is no consistency. You will work a lot of hours, gain little hours, or get no hours.
    - I had a payroll issue at that job.
    - Some managers lack in communication with their employees.
    - The store is messy at all times because you have disgusting employees and customers.
    - All employees are not treated equally. It amazed me how other trainees seemed satisfied about their occupation except me (I was a trainee myself). Those trainees received a good amount hours, got the privileged to work in other departments of the store. All I did was handle K-Mart's shopping carts and I hate shopping carts.
    - On a final note and like I said before I only speak my review on K-Mart in Oakwood Plaza located in Hollywood, FL. I do not recommend anyone to work over there in that store. Apply to other K-Mart stores or Target. Personally from a customer point of view, Target is a good place to shop over there. This K-Mart store has horrible customer service.

Advice to Management

I only speak of K-Mart in Oakwood Plaza in Hollywood, FL.
    - The next time you hire people, seek out workers that provides great dedication in their work. If you hire the wrong people, then of course you going to develop a bad business practice.
    - Offer more training programs.
    - Offer challenges to your workers.
    - Do not hire managers, if they do not know how to manage a store. I will give you a prime example on shopping carts. Why let a single person push all those shopping carts when the business is fast? You can get the work done much faster if you have more than one person dealing with the shopping carts. This is basic common sense for the role of management.
    - Change the culture of Kmart. Have a clean store and make the atmosphere pleasant for customers and employees.
    - Have better technology.
    - On a final note, I am so glad and I am going to school to better myself. So you treated me like a low-level employee and well I got some news for you. I can always find a better suitable job than my current employment with K-Mart. So forget you and you can have a nice life.

"Great company with lots of opportunities for the driven"

Current Employee - Strategic Development Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Development Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is huge and has lots of opportunities for advancement
    Relaxed work environment & friendly people
    Company is always trying new things and seeking to improve tools/processes.
    Lot's of "low hanging fruit". All it takes is some drive and a person can do well here.

Cons

No 401k match
    Depending on your area, very hard to bonus
    No tuition reimbursement
    Lot's of "red tape" to get significant operational changes done.

Advice to Management

Improve the benefits package to retain top talent.