Sears - Part-Time holiday help | Glassdoor

"Part-Time holiday help"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Started working there in late November for some extra holiday money. It was a pleasant experience, the hours were good and management seems to work well with you. The employees there are very nice and are always available to help.

Cons

Downside would probably be is you can tell that Sears is getting old. The store just doesn't seem as modern compared to other retailers. In addition computer registers are old which makes checking out a longer process than it should be.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Applied for Major Appliances, hired then put in vacuum, sewing machines and microwaves"

Former Employee - Major Appliance Associate in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Major Appliance Associate in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good online training, set schedule

Cons

I would not have taken position if I wasn't getting major appliances as that is where you make good money on commission, they hired me for major appliances then put me in microwaves, vacuums and sewing machines where you only make about 2% comm. if you don't make your hourly in sales, they deduct it off your check when you make over. There was usually 2-3 employees in an area of approx. 30'x30'. I told them I was hired for major appliances and was told they integrated that department into major appliances, really! They put a lot of commission sales people on the floor as the company doesn't lose money, customers walking down the aisle on a weekend is like they are going through a gauntlet as they want employees to stand at all aisles, low employee moral due to so many employees on floor.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone for a dept. like major appliances, don't deceive them with putting them in sewing machines, vacuums and microwaves and class the dept. as major appliances as they are NOT. Don't expect to have women lift heavy microwaves and sewing machines weighing over 20#s above their heads to lift up or take down. Heavy items need to be kept on lower shelf's.

2. "Every Dept is different"

Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some really great people / managers

Cons

Some really awful managers / directors

Advice to Management

Get feedback on Managers from their employees