Sears - One call closer | Glassdoor

"One call closer"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commission only job. Can make good money if you can sell. Great bonus structure.

Cons

Appointments are preset by Sears. You don't know when your appointments are until the morning. Drive your own car all over the state.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Overall not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview was easy. I completed the application online, and interviewed within a few days. I have a lot of retail management background, and even though I was off my game in the intrview I was hired on the spot. The work is just common retail work. .

Cons

Training was split between real life and computer learning. Most of the computer learning did not teach you how to do the job. Working in the evening there was limited informaiton about how we were doing for the day, or what our goals were. This informaiton was not something that was shared with the new associates.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention. The management in the store was often not available, and not around. People goofed off a lot.

"You take all the risk..."

Former Employee - Project Consultant
    Former Employee - Project Consultant

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand recognition. Good benefits. Flexible for days off.

Cons

Even if you are good at one call closes this job burns you out. You use your own car with minimal reimbursement. You will spend 15-20k a year on your car out of pocket. This includes gas, tolls, parking fees, maintenance. You will put 30-40k miles on your car in a year. You are only reimbursed 21 cents a mile. And only on the miles they want to pay you. You will only be reimbused for about half of the actual miles you drive. Then you can write off the rest but it does not replace what you spend. You also use your own cell phone. One call close. The leads are only preset - not pre-qualified. You will often get one-leggers and people in no position to make a purchase that same day. Also Sears is so over priced that it has to be a one call close. If customer has time to compare or do research most will not go with Sears. This system is a fine line between manipulation and persuasion. Nearly half of credit apps are rejects. You do not get paid for that. Even if you can gross 100k in a year you will only make about 60k after taxes and expenses. And thats working 60-70 hours a week. About a third of the time is spent driving. Most people only average 50k-60k gross. Only the managers and trainers are making more. Thats because they can cherry pick the leads so they do not run a lot of one-leggers and got to areas that are less likely to have credit rejects. I grossed 1.2m in business in one year. Average commission is 10%. After rejects and cancels I only got paid about 65k. Cancel rate is about 30%. Customers realize they over paid if they decide to get a comparison quote.

Advice to Management

30k-40k base salary plus half the commission would stop you from losing good people. Also spend more time qualifying the leads. Too many no goods and one-leggers. Also distribute leads fairly. Don't send a rep 90 miles away when there are leads within 20 miles of their home.