Sears - Not Bad, But Could AND SHOULD Be Better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Not Bad, But Could AND SHOULD Be Better"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling.
Good products to sell in the "Hardlines" area.
A great department manager in my store.
Fantastic co-workers.
Decent employee discount on some items.

Cons

The customer traffic at Sears seems to be getting thinner and thinner as time goes by.
Low base bay with not-generous-enough commissions.
Understaffed in many departments.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay.

Allow some leeway in pricing. In this day of consumer advocates on TV and radio telling people that everything is negotiable, we need to be able to let our customers do that. I've lost too many sales because someone down the street is willing to lower their list price to beat us.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "You will never catch up and will almost die trying."

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Discount on purchases. Most of the time you are left alone to do your job.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Overworked during the holidays. They do not allow you to adjust procedures to make shrink go away.

Advice to Management

Walk in the shoes of a manager, then empower them to be able to make the appropriate changes to reduce shrink.

2. "The stereotype of this place is REAL"

Current Employee - MCA in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - MCA in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers overall but you have some that obviously won''t pull their weight. Sales staff tend to do this the most. You can get a 20% discount on clothing if you actually buy the stuff there. If you work as MCA you can sort of work at your own pace instead of being whipped like the sales staff and cashiers!

Cons

Sears is not a good company overall. The company has poor IT systems; the registers are at least 20+ years old and might be even older. All other equipment is either broken, missing or obsolete and of course management expects you to still get your job done with it. Pay is terrible; you get paid minimum wage for a relatively high workload. The only reason I stayed here past the holiday season was simply because there is nothing else here in the area for employment. Don't stay more than a year here, you'll lose your sanity here! The stores are falling apart and the prices are much higher overall than most other places. Did I mention that many big ticket items here are basically crap?

Advice to Management

I don't think Sears can be turned around, to be honest. You have so many people who had a bad experience here and Sears already is losing money left and right. Furthermore, ESL and his minions are taking the company apart and I don't think it will last past the 2010s, realistically.