Sears - Sears Holdings - a turnaround in the making or a great collapse..? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Sears Holdings - a turnaround in the making or a great collapse..?"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

The possibility that Sears Holding could be a great turn around story - it would be great to be part of such a remarkable story. The attitude is still pretty positive in some areas of the organization - people still have a sense of hope. Sears Holdings is committed to hiring the best and brightest talent. I think Bruce Johnson has created a very energetic atmosphere in the short time that he has been interim CEO. I feel that we are making efforts to put ourselves in a favorable position once the economy picks back up. Work-life balance is very manageable.

Cons

The possibility that Sears Holding could go down as one of the biggest failures. A LOT of uncertainty pertaining to job security. It is very concerning that many executives have a short tenure. We are way behind our competitors in terms of technological advancements - legacy systems seem to be too ingrained into the mindset of management. I am not too sure how the "Sears Holdings Organization, Action and Responsibilities" (SOAR) operating structure will shakeout. Apparently, Sears tried something like this several years ago, but it did not work out. Sears Holdings is not relevant to softlines consumers - which are vital to our success. I do not feel Sears Holdings is sending a clear and concise message to the consumers about what Sears Holdings represents.

Advice to Management

Remodel our stores.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Good people... but not back on track yet."

Current Employee - Senior Apparel Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Apparel Designer in New York, NY

Pros

Almost everyone I've worked with at Sears has been really great. I really like the corporate culture. I find it to be very respectful of personal needs and differences. In the New York office there are no "bad apples". Everyone is friendly, curteous and supportive.

Cons

There were no bonuses this year, and only nominal raises. But management isn't afraid to increase your work load!

Advice to Management

Straighten out the development calendar and get a better Sourcing team in place. Right now all the Apparel Sourcing team does is negotiate cost. They have no development skills and can't think outside of beating people down for the lowest cost. It makes it hard to be creative.

2. "Sears Holdings is a serious place to work with a lot of challenges."

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

The people are good and every one is a hard workers. It is a very serious place to work and everyone takes their job seriously. The provide you with a good benefits package. They challange you and push you to do a lot of work. You will never be bored and there are many opportunties to branch into.

Cons

Unstable work conditions, due to many lay-offs over the past years. Management is always changing and there is not consistency. The workload and hours put in can be overwhelming, which leaves to an unbalanced life. Human Resources needs to be more involved with supervisors and the review process. There is an inconsistency with how mangement treats their employees in each department.

Advice to Management

The management needs to become more consistant on the rules. They need to keep changing the process and procdures of how to complete tasks and how the company is run.