Sears - Good place to work for High School kids | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Good place to work for High School kids"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coon Rapids, MN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people! good managers decent discount

Cons

pay too less
really hard if commisioned

Advice to Management

update the system

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Good opportunity for motivated people, esp. young college grads"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work around are the best thing about Sears. I've wokred in two different locations in MI and have liked both of them. I get along with most people in general. Started out selling fitness and lawn and garden, and moved into management. Diverse staff esp. at my current store, large workforce (100-200 ppl) so you get to know a lot of people over time.

Also, I like working with most customers one on one and building relationships and you get to do that as a salesperson. I liked being on commission because your paycheck is largely based off what you sell. If you out work someone, it usually show on your paycheck. If you listen and follow directions, and can relate to people, you can make good money. I averaged about 17.00 an hr. during the holidays five yrs. ago which is decent money for selling treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and snow blowers.

As a manager, I like getting to know the staff and how a business is run and seeing it from a management perspective. You learn why things happen the way they do. I don't always agree, but at least I know and can explain to staff. The starting manager salary is decent, I was never a lead (hourly supervisor) though. Vacation is nice, two weeks and four personal days. After 5 yrs., you get 3 weeks, I also like how's there's no set times, you get to work an open or close shift normally about 9-10 hrs. but my store managers were cool if you had to leave early or come late, etc. because they knew you would make up for it during the holidays or big events.

As a manager, you get to design your own training as long as it's within the company's guidelines, so any untrained employees a the fault of management. They should be trained properly, and either they learn within time or they should be fired.

Cons

Upper management seems to be disconnected with what goes on in the store which causes frustration. It seems like they're working on it and getting better. With four separate departments are ran by four separate businesses, and they don't always know what the other is doing which creates frustration and confusion. Training for the managers could be a lot better. I was walked around the store and given the keys in November to run the appliance and electronics dept. that I've never worked in to that point.

Also, more importantly, the company is struggling because they don't focus on the most important thing, sales!!! I've been on ton of conference calls about the rewards program, protection agreements, new initiatives, but never sales. The company focuses on things to contribute to sales instead of sales itself.

Also, they're getting Ipads, and new digital technology, but the store's look like they're from the 70's No raises are given, nor criteria about how to get a raise other than to move up. People work harder when they know they'll be rewarded for it (at least in part). Sears loses lots of talent because there aren't any raises outside of commission based jobs.

Advice to Management

Focus on sales, update the buildings, and communicate more. Also, tie have some sort of incentive based pay in the non commission jobs or give raises. We have people who haven't had a raise since 2007.

2. "It was okay."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very laid back environment to work in. Not a lot of commotion or high demand.

Cons

There was not a lot of opportunities for advancement unless you were liked by management.