Sears - Sears is a decent place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Sears is a decent place to work."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual attire year round. Nice campus. Good people.

Cons

Systems ar antiquated. Salaries are low. Benefits are not great.

Advice to Management

Upgrade systems company wide. Pay your employees what they're worth.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"The Best Crash Course in Retail Bar None"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people, some of the most intelligent, ethical and shrewd people I have met in my short life. The older veterans have taught me an incredible amount and have helped shape me into the person I am today.
    - Although they are chipping away at it bit by bit the base+commission pay for someone inexperienced and in college is still very competitive.
    - The appliance department still has a big legacy keeping it alive and with the changing pricing structure of many TV manufacturers the electronics department is actually fairly competitive in the industry now.
    - You are given a good amount of autonomy which is nice for the slow times that are inevitably going to happen outside the holiday season.

Cons

- Initial computer training is completely irrelevant to any of the systems or selling processes you will be using especially with the shift from the aging registers to iPads.
    - Ingrained favoritism in management throughout the company instead of putting those best suited for the job in the right position they choose their friends first.
    - Too much focus on meeting secondary sales metrics over actual sales and now with the addition of having to make the majority of sales on their slow and essentially in-alpha iPad point of sale system it feels like management wants you to jump through hoops instead of selling product.
    - Incredibly frustrating inventory system that is often incorrect and/or butchered because of .com sales taking away already limited inventory from stores instead of a warehouse.
    - In case I have not mentioned it enough the new point of sale system they are shoving down sales associates' throats is laughably coded, hindered more by the slow in-store networks and glitchy to the point of being legally dangerous in the several cases I have seen it not remove discounts from an item's total price.

Advice to Management

Don't allow Leads to run free on smoke breaks or hide in their offices when they don't feel like playing the firefighters that they essentially are. Give Leads and the rest of the management team the power to lead the team instead of acting as a reactionary force doing whatever they can to keep up appearances with regional management. Always have a manager on duty dedicated to the numerous approvals that always occur during the day. Recognize the talented associates that have stuck with you and instead of beating them over the head with numbers and iPads start fostering a competitive sales team where sales once again drive the company's business not fly by night cultural changes. Also don't allow decisions for hiring and promotions be based on favoritism as this kind of behavior and the people it brings in can nearly cripple a sales team. Invest in renovating the aging retail locations instead of dead-end electronic point of sale systems and bring back the fun retail environment that our parents and grandparents remember about Sears. Sears has not completely destroyed it's reputation yet and the right changes at the ground level can still save this company that I would argue is worth saving.

2. "used to be good 3 years ago"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

don't do much work but gets boring sometimes and if we're slow it means unsatisfied paycheck

Cons

demanding to fake #s to reach goal on paper only, managment doesn't care about employees life, all treated like slaves ( retail). no money made recently. company doesn't even know what to do they follow the trial and error method with their employees and always threatening employees to get fired if they don't meet their goal

Advice to Management

listen to your employees not just trying to satisfy your higher ranked personnel