Sears - pretty cool but lots of pressure | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"pretty cool but lots of pressure"

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sears part-time

Pros

fun people laid back enviroment

Cons

pressure for credit unorganized managing

Advice to Management

be more organized

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"Sears Appliance Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Representative

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Appliances is the best place to make money.
    *Averaged 18.50 an hour (worked 100% commission).
    *Fun meeting new people, helping customers.
    *Sales was a personal joy. It was a relaxed, happy environment, as long as managers are not roaming around like hungry wolves.
    *Great co-workers who have all moved on to better careers. Okay place for college students to earn good money while in college. If you are pursuing a business degree, Sears is the perfect example of "what not to do to customer or employees". It was a valuable learning experience in its own way.

Cons

*Ridiculous pressure from management to sell warranties and add-ons.
    *You must keep your performance up or you will get your hours cut severely. I've seen friends who were down for one month and had their hours cut to non-livable wages. Management was ruthless.
    *Unethical treatment of employees, attempting to make them work with no pay. Multiple attempts to make 100% commission workers work after close and no claim to pay. Lawyers were threatened and finally management decided to back down.
    *Negative reinforcement techniques, constant threats. It became very tiring day after day.
    *Non competitive promotions compared to the rest of retail industry.

Advice to Management

*Why can't you get your supply chain straightened out to offer free delivery like your competitors? Its seriously killing your business, I would say this is one of the main reasons why I lost sales.
    *There is a huge disconnect with upper management and lower level employees, the environment is very political.
    *Managers egos are larger than the store, none of them have the humility to become effective communicators. .Please teach humility and acceptance of feedback to managers.
    *None of the managers have college degrees, the one with college degrees all left because Sears ASMs are taught to do things opposite of what you learn in college. They became frustrated and went on to better positions. You may want to look at the root cause of high turnover rates. Management philosophy is = Warranties > Customer service, customer appreciation, employee respect. This seems inappropriate.
    *Ideas on how to improve customer service or sales will never be acknowledged. Managers have some kind of ego issues.
    *Over the years I've worked, I've seen the commission cut every year (sometimes in a few months). I feel that the company is trying to do away with commission. If so, you need better communication with lower level employees.
    *Company appears lost in executive decisions, does the company want to offer superior quality or a low cost alternative? You cannot do both, the company is trying to survive on its legendary reputation on quality, but you cannot have quality if you treat your employees poorly.

*FINALLY, learn to treat your employees with respect! I've worked for Sears for nearly 5 years and it truly saddens me to see where this company is headed. Its a real shame because I loved sales and did very well, but I did not agree with the executive direction of the company so I left to pursue a different career. If you want to advance in Sears, make sure you know how to suck up to local store managers. NOTE*** To respect the privacy of my managers, I will not state where I worked because I liked some of them and I know your punishments are very harsh.

*I know the CEO will never get this message, but it was a very poor PR decision with employees to buy your luxury island for 40 million dollars at the same time you made a MAJOR commission cut to our paychecks and how you eliminated spiffs from manufacturers. I have never seen morale at a store fall so low before. Insult to injury, if you ask me.

"Decent pay for selling your soul"

Pros

Good pay for the job you're doing, lots of opportunities to make bonuses, easy to get time off or to pick up hours

Cons

The company is very unprofessional, not enough product training, management is not helpful

Advice to Management

The managers should know more than the associates do.