Sears - Learning Experience | Glassdoor

"Learning Experience"

Former Employee - RTV in Manassas, VA
Former Employee - RTV in Manassas, VA

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned alot working at Sears. Worked different departments and with different managers.

Cons

sometimes people gossiped too much, like high school. But that's almost everywhere.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sears is an amazingly transparent company: From the ground, its amazing how clearly and far up the beanstalk of business decisions and execution an appliance salesman can see.

-Decent commission.
    -Very flexible hours.

Cons

-The burden of Sears' failure of execution while trying to sell----------anything.
    -The burden empathizing with customers over Sears' failure of execution.
    -The burden of watching training videos about Sears' failure of execution.
    -The dichotomy of TRS-80's and iPads
    -The irony of preferring the TRS-80 over the iPad.
    -Knowing what "single sign-on" is.
    -The cyclical dumbing-down and rejuvenation of your sense of disbelief.
    -Sears' foray into the adoption of modern technology to become "the world's greatest integrated retailer" can be likened to trying to install Windows 8 on a WWII battleship, with the expectation that it's crew will control it with iPads.
    -Wont be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Turn the solids into liquids and call it a day, Eddie. Your getting emotional on this trade.

"This company allowed me to grow, but now has a gloomy future outlook."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working my way up in this company. I learned a lot in my 3 years of experience with the company and I have made great connections throughout the district. There is a company wide social media site that allows all associates to reach out to each other for any questions they may come across. Also, Shop Your Way Rewards is a loyalty program that I can truly believe in.

Cons

The company is cutting costs in any way possible, which makes employees very nervous about losing their jobs/ hours. Many employees are overworked and burnt out due to this. Customers get extremely frustrated, finding cash registers that are closed, having to walk to opposite end of store just to check out. I often have customers complain that it took them so long to find an associate to help them on the salesfloor. Hardlines delivery, installation, and repairs is a complete mess due to the company using outside companies for all of this, also leading to angry customers who "will never shop Sears again".

Advice to Management

Store management does its best to deal with corporate pressures. However, I think that the company management needs to invest in its associates by giving more payroll and fixing hardlines logistics problems.