Sears - Hard work with what feels like family | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Hard work with what feels like family"

Current Employee - Backroom Associated
Current Employee - Backroom Associated

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I worked with has made the job just fun and enjoyable. Most days were a treat to be paid just to hangout.

Cons

Employees that have multiple years with the company are not forced into doing any of the work that the newer employees are told to finish. There is a level of seniority that exists allowing certain employees to be exempt from actually doing their work.

They do not give raises and it is a nightmare trying to transfer into other departments or other locations. With the recent hourly cuts they eliminated 2 part time positions in on the back office team. They went so far as to insult me personally by scheduling me 7 hours spread over 2 days.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth. Backroom Associates are the backbone of the store. They are the most abused department in the store. When stock is not put out my Salespeople in Hardlines or by Merchandising Associates in Softlines, management blames the Backroom Team. When management wants something assembled they take Backroom Associates away from the definition of their job to do this side job that is unrelated.

Upgrade the Handhelds that the Backroom Associates use. The SNC's do not work in all locations, nor do they stay active all the time. More often than not the device disconnects without notice to the employee resulting in there being a pickup or a dot com to pull from the floor that is not completed in time.

5 minutes is not enough time to go to the floor, pickup a large appliance, tv, or whatever the item is, and scan the customers receipt without taking steps that are dangerous to the customers, employees, and merchandise.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "UNpleasant and stressful"

Pros

Hired me quickly though was not trained completely before put on commission

Cons

credit applications mean more than customers satisfaction

2. "Great training ground for first jobs!"

Current Employee - Brand Central/Appliance Select
    Current Employee - Brand Central/Appliance Select

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training ground! They offer extensive sales, customer service & product training.

Cons

They will hire someone with a History degree to manage a clothing department who had no experience in retail, management, or sears, before they will consider someone with 10+ years with them.

Advice to Management

The opportunities for advancement within were not there. It was not even encouraged let alone offered. I left the company after 13 years of Brand Central and Appliance Select. When the company sets a goal so achievable that the top producers can't reach, you are telling them that they are unimportant to you. There should be more recognition than just an employee of the month for the best letter sent in by a customer. Many times I would even do things like go to an old ladies home on my own hours and assemble a stereo cabinet or program a remote. Managers should be noticing outrageous customer service. I was often charged with upset clients and other responsibilities by my manager because she knew I was good and she trusted me. Yet in 10 years in Brand Central I received one customer service award. 1987-1999 Store Management in my first 10 years was not inspiring. They were not really friendly, didn't try to "know you" , were unfair. I loved my department managers.