Sears - GlWGGloomGloomy | Glassdoor

"GlWGGloomGloomy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of customers were very nice. Most of time can get hours suited to part-time employee needs.

Cons

There are not enough people on the floor to help customers. Customers get frustrated because of lack of help available. Technology for employees getting better but doesn't match with products available. Online shopping from within store very frustrating - products weren't available and customers were disappointed.

Advice to Management

Recognize good employees with real incentives.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "12 years; Blood, Sweat, and Tears. All for Nothing"

Current Employee - Department Manager; Key Carrier in Loveland, OH
    Current Employee - Department Manager; Key Carrier in Loveland, OH

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed the opportunity to attend a traditional university while maintaining full time employment

Cons

Lack of leadership (of any kind). Pronounced desire to avoid bucking the corporate system regardless of negated profits to the store; everyone there apparently fears their boss to the point of snuffing out even the smallest of creative thought. Inability to fully exploit the necessity of sound econometric data mining and utility. Poor quality and speed of associate interfaces (software, computers, phones, etc.). Extremely low opportunity for advancement. Absence of opportunity for any sort of performance incentives (raises, bonuses); 5 years of positive growth without a single cent of hourly raise. Constant coverage of store management duties due to a continued trend of salaried managers not capable of understanding the dynamic of a salaried position. Asked to absolve the positions of two co-workers while maintaining my previous responsibilities. Allowance for poor performing employees to maintain a higher level of benefit than those whom have proven to be several times more valuable, time and time again. Lack of professional development. Lack of desire to maintain an educated staff. Zero involvement in the local community. Promote dishonest selling practices primarily in the realm of secondary income items (warranties, credit cards, etc.) Discourage policing of dishonest employees. Allow internal theft. The list is endless

Advice to Management

Stop moving people "up the chain" simply because they abide by the "rules" and produce vanilla outcomes. Try to encourage professional development. If you have someone with a skill ten times above their pay grade; utilize it. Reinforce that profit is the reason you are in business; allowing employees to mark down items just to sell a warranty is a net loss, and cheapens the shopping experience. Track your salaried employees; they work at best 30 hours per week. Show appreciation for work performance (I could have shown numerically that myself and a select few kept that stores doors open). Give your employees raises, rather than the string of lack luster store managers getting bonus after bonus. Implement store meetings or at least manager meetings. Understand that people that make claims as I am here truly care about the business. Allow freedom in your stores for profitable opportunities; stop stomping on those who have a better idea and promoting those that sit in the wings watching us work. I run my own business now, with growth patterns that I associate with my abilities that have grown my current employers business close to 400% in one year, something that Sears had but refused to allow. Your majority stake holder is an economist, so am I, yet I typically had to answer to the under educated person in the middle whom rarely understood the implications of the numbers presented to them--this is a problem for any business. I could write for eternity on this, but I would be willing to bet the "management" is as hard headed as the lower management and are content with the red ink that continues to fill the pages of the Sears publicly released financial statements.

"If you're willing to give up all your time, you can make a living"

Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leads are provided by the company. You just have to show up and give a presentation. Mileage is paid for by the company.

Cons

You will put a lot of miles on your car. Typical day is 8am to 10pm and they will want you to work 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

Provide better compensation and you will have much less turnover.