Sears - Plenty of opportunity with a serious work ethic and mental strength. Serious poor management issues in some locations. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Plenty of opportunity with a serious work ethic and mental strength. Serious poor management issues in some locations."

Current Employee - SALES PRODUCT CONSULTANT in Albany, NY
Current Employee - SALES PRODUCT CONSULTANT in Albany, NY

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WOW theres lots of negative on here. This job is only for you IF you have a very very serious work ethic, genuinely LIKE people, can commit to your own ongoing improvement, take ownership of all of your own stuff, AND have a high level of b/ulls/hit tolerance. It will not work even if you have all of the above, unless there is a supportive District Sales Manager that will help you progress, and will cover your back and support you especially regarding production. Be prepared to deal with lots of highs and lots of lows. Yay I sold a 25k job. Boo my job cancelled 3 weeks later and my commission is being taken back. Most people whine about the quality of the leads and the distance to travel, Those are not an issue because its a numbers game, you take the good with the bad.

Cons

I question whether there may be some serious cash flow issues with the company (Fall-winter 2013) They have been delaying paying commissions earned, making us jump through several hoops to get paid (someone will eventually be filing a class action suit, its not legal) high turnover, unethical local management. The management attitude towards Sales Consultants is portrayed as positive but is actually very cynical. I took the job because of the quality of the local sales manager, in addition to other factors. He has since left and I am leaving to work at another office for a more solid team. corporate guidelines are to provide on average 2.5 leads per day, our leads in the past 9 months have averaged 1.5 leads per day, you cant make money at that rate. Sure the pricing is high but not for serious customers that want high quality products installed by a company that will stand behind them.

Advice to Management

Quit screwing your sales reps, pay them what they are owed (quit jamming the job with NPS at closeout) You have a great company and great products and a great system, AND about half the reps you hire have great potential: USE AND IMPLEMENT THEM. Forget the focus on DPS sure its important but it takes the focus off where it should be. TAKE CARE OF CUSTOMERS! We shouldnt ever be reading here about customeres that got stuck with a bad purchase and I have seen a lot of that. If you dont fix that this company is toast.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Was alright, company executives seemed frantic."

Former Employee - Department Manager in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn retail skills. I liked the environment.

Cons

New policies and micromanagement was getting ridiculous. They have reports to see if your processing reports on other reports. The amount of paperwork and procedure left no time for actual productivity.

Advice to Management

Give some breathing room to your local management team.

"Company running on bare bones."

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, many have been there for 30 or 40 years.

Cons

No benefits other then health. Company expects you to work, no matter what and for as long as they want. No respect for peoples lives. Managers work 50+ hours and holidays 60+ same pay, no days off.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who make you money. Downsize corporate, no need for people to be on pebble, when there is money to be made and issues to resolve, Mr. Wexler. Sears was a good company, with a great reputation, wholesome and a go to store. Now customers run when they here Sears. Too Bad.