Sears - Worst job I've held in 30 years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Worst job I've held in 30 years."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Training is below poor, they expect you to do online modules, with no hands on experience to actually learn the job. The pay is $6/hr plus commission which is fine "IF" you have customers to sell to, which we barely do. The commission percentages are horrible, and as I've been told have been lowered consistently over the last few years. Lack of leadership, maybe 1 sometimes 2 managers working at any given time. Thanks to corporate cutbacks on management we have no leadership on a consistent basis, meaning the management are so over worked, they are always frustrated and in bad moods. Worst district management I've seen in any company. Management at district and store level are completely out of touch with their employees. Very poor safety standards, which are often disregarded.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your people, get their concerns and honestly evaluate the problems and fix them. One supervisor for every salesperson in the store is ridiculous. Making 1 person do 4 peoples jobs may be the trend, but it is costing you business and loyalty.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in El Paso, TX

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job to acquire some experience in handeling money and customer service.
    Company tries to motivate their employees with rewards and discounts.

Cons

while working there, there was a lot of favoritism. Low communication between upper managements and employees. You had to ask about new changes or sales.

"rewarding but stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers , people are companies biggest asset, brand names customer loyality base.

Cons

too many bosses and too much crisis of the day management. Company has no clear direction from the recluse owner Ceo.

Advice to Management

pick 1 to three priorities and stick with them don't change direction daily.