Sears - what is really important, the number or the customer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"what is really important, the number or the customer"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
Former Employee - Store Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people at store level - they all try very hard to meet the standards. The store can be nearly a one stop shop for the customer coming just short in groceries.

Cons

the pressure put on all levels in the store to hit a expected number regardless of customer feedback is incredibile. example: customer buys apparel and says no to opening a credit card puts the associate who rings the sale as a failure. same customer does not want to join the rewards program and the same associates is now failing 2x's.

Advice to Management

if the efforts towards the numbers was to create a better bottom line and those numbers have reportedly gone up every year - the question bags to be answered then. why is the bottom line not getting better. the answer is we have fewer customers returning because they are sick of the pressures to buy more at the register. wake up and see what is happening, yes reward members are repeating purchases more and more, but the customers are coming in less and less. 80% or better in loyalty customers means you are not getting new customers in and so the base is eroding away as fast as the companys bottom line.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"Terrible."

Current Employee - Tele-service Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Tele-service Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is better than being unemployed.

Cons

No raises, ever. Been here 7 years. Terrible work policies and hours. Promotions are based solely on favoritism. Everything is based upon numbers and stats. Frequent schedule also make things really inconvenient as well.

Advice to Management

Advice may be irrelevant at this point

2. "Regret going back, only needed the money for bills."

Current Employee - Cashier in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers and not having to deal with aggravating customers/members.

Cons

I really hate having to sell credit and do loyalty. There is no point in prolonging a transaction, it would frustrate me to no avail if I was the customer. I had not been working there for a month and I had already been threatened to be fired for not asking the “May I Put This On Your Sears Card?” Question. I have never endured so much crap in the workplace since I went back to Sears. I'm currently looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Quit looking at your employees as numbers and statistics and start looking at them as normal people with normal lives and feelings.