Sears - IDK... I just dont know what the top of the pyramid is thinking. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"IDK... I just dont know what the top of the pyramid is thinking."

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in South Portland, ME
Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back. Easy going. Lots of women walking through the mall to look at. Have an awesome sales associate to help me learn the ropes.

Cons

Pay is a JOKE.. pay is structured to keep people from making any money. Pay is below minimum wage with a laughable commission rate. If I sell a 3000$ lawn mower, i make 30$ from the sale. 1% comm on a riding mower is pathetic. Management? we dont need no stinkin management. the receipts are way too long. 3 feet average per transaction. salesmen are not told they will also be doing stock work and housekeeping.
the MUSIC... its terrible. they play kanye and beyonce and all hip hop rap crap allll day. what white collar republican at the top of the ivory tower thinks that is the correct demographic??? our customers are 40+ and mostly white DIYers.. they dont listen to DMX and Miley Cyrus.

Advice to Management

You guys really need to redo everything from the ground UP.. I am leaving in 2 weeks so my slavery will go elsewhere. BUT.. Sears has been around forever and craftsmen makes some very nice tools. Id hate to see ALLLLL the thousands of people that have put in DECADES of salvery to make you fat cats money get shoved out the door like ENRON because you elitist freemasons or illuminati type cant dislodge your craniums from your colons. get rid of the 5$ per hour pay with a pathetic commission, start treating employees like you want them to stay and for pukes sake take a look at what all the financial companies in the US are saying about your company. They say it wont last another decade. this might not be important to you guys, but there are actual HUMAN lives that have slaved for 20-30 years and lined your pockets with more gold than your snotty Billy Maddison children could ever NEED.. show them some respect by pulling the company out of the water. South Portland store needs a miracle.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Less than ideal work place."

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members who really support each other.

Cons

Do not value their employees. Do not offer raises, realistic bonus structure or 401K contributing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and value employees more.

2. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - ASM Operations
    Former Employee - ASM Operations

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After roughly 15 years, and many stores, transferring and returning, the associates were like family.

Cons

Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up. Eventually at the store level it becomes a "work yourself to death or fail" mentality. Upper level management has no problems bypassing the chain of command to directly question/berate Hourly Lead/Salaried ASM positions. Although they preach a "Drive the behaviors, not the numbers" management style, it is apparent that getting the number is all they care about. Ethically or not.

Advice to Management

Look into your Regional, District and Store Manager teams. Ethics are very "grey" in a lot of areas. One example - You offer two credit products from the same bank. The chances of getting approved for the second after already being declined for the first are minimal, yet your higher performing stores are doubling up nearly 70% of the time.