Sears - Overall, a good experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Overall, a good experience."

Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant
Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Generally a positive environment to work in where you meet cool coworkers (That's really the only good thing I can list as a pro for the company)
-Good start to retail experience

Cons

-Terrible pay.
  It baffles me how a company can expect and demand so much from associates when the starting pay is MINIMUM WAGE! I've met hardworking coworkers who have been with the company FOR YEARS WITHOUT A RAISE. Managers deserve a higher salary as well for the amount of BS they have to go through.

-Extremely annoying customers
   I don't know what it is about Sears customers (sorry, I mean member's) and their really nasty attitudes towards Sears employees.

-Don't like the member rallies and meetings at the end of the day.
  Waste of time. "So why are we here? To serve, delight and engage our members while they shop their way!" I just want to begin work or go home and not spend the next 15 minutes listening to the same thing over and over again. I don't want to hear a manager asking "anybody have any stories?" I've probably seen my coworkers and complimented them on a good job they've done already. I honestly believe it's a terrible way to think coworkers are appreciated. Give them a raise if you believe they are.

-Terrible hours
  Hours fluctuate like crazy. Sometimes you'll get 30+ for one week and the following week you'll receive 10. SERIOUSLY.

-Do not supply you with the tools needed to do the job and outdated technology
  If you've worked at Sears as either a HL or SL associate, you will understand that finding a SNIC is like finding a golden ticket to heaven. Those things are extremely rare to come by because either associates hide them, never work, or aren't enough in quantity for the associates. I don't know about other stores so I'm only speaking for my store, but good god everything is outdated. The registers are I believe almost 15 years old at my store and you could probably make a grilled cheese sandwich based on how hot they get. The printer (Extremely important for signing) is outdated. Apparently some stores have iPad's? HA. My store will NEVER see those in our stores. HA

-Inefficient/Ridiculous training
  Game On is dumb. I don't find it useful at all. Instead, let managers train you one on one either in the morning before the store opens, or set up a meeting sometime during the week. Game On can take HOURS for completion that must be completed during work-hours.

-Play many positions
  Getting paid minimum wage, yet you're almost required to help in every department. wut. I'm an MCA and will be asked to assist cashiers (code 3) even though I have enough work to do already. Then, I'll be asked to help associates in MPU load something. Then, I'll be asked to help someone in shoes. I don't mind, but don't blame me when my work isn't done because I'm asked to help every other associate in the store.

-30 minute lunch
  It doesn't matter whether you're a full-time, PT, or Manager, everyone gets a 30 minute meal. Give managers and FT associates hour meals. It's already a stressful environment so i don't see why there aren't hour meals for them. And then my supervisor will find the absolute dying need to come and ask me something regarding work while she's not clocked out and I'm on lunch. Makes me want to flip a table. Leave me alone for my 30 minutes.

-Bad products/Services
  The clothing is just bad. Contract new and younger companies to sell you their products. My dad bought a wrench and it broke the same day. I once had an employee order a shirt for me through Store-to-home and it never arrived. I called Sears and they told me that Sears cancelled my order. Oh, but wait, that's not the best part. The best part was that they still charged my card and they were NOT going to give me my money back. I seriously wanted to quit right then and there. This was the first and last time I ever ordered something from Sears and trust me, customers mention this ALL. THE. TIME. that their products never arrive.

-No advancement
  Sears might offer you to go to a different department where you can "make more money" but it really isn't a "promotion" at all. Don't be fooled by this. As stated above, I've met coworkers who have been with the company for years and still haven't gotten a raise let alone a real promotion to lets say, management. There is no way I can afford to work for a company making minimum wage and pray for the opportunity to become a manager. Nope.

I hope I don't sound like a complainer, but seriously, I can 100% guarantee you to expect every single thing mentioned above.

P.S. I probably missed out on more stuff but I'm getting tired of writing this review. Oh yeah, I don't even think Sears offers benefits. If they do, I don't think any employee besides management can afford them with the amount of pay they earn at Sears.

Advice to Management

Improve on operating a company because the way things currently look, I don't think Sears will be around any longer than 5 years from now.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Rely too much on computer evaluation"

Current Employee - Backroom Associate
    Current Employee - Backroom Associate

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly flexible schedule, employee discount, can wear shorts in the summer.

Cons

Looking for a salary increase annually? Not going to happen. Promotions? Only if the computer says so. You can work harder than anyone, but don't count on advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually speak to and interact with employees before you decide they aren't ready to be promoted. Promote hard workers, not suck ups.

2. "cashiers"

Pros

there is actually no good reasons but its usually in the mall and u get employee discount

Cons

the do not promote based on experience or education but ones race, i.e. if you are white you got the promotion.

Advice to Management

stop the entrapment, in order not to face discrimination suits