Sears - Working for Sears Home Improvement put me in debt | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Working for Sears Home Improvement put me in debt"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you work for Sears Home Improvement, you sell windows, siding, doors, AC/heating units, siding, etc. You are given the leads so no cold calling. They teach you the presentation to give in people's homes and provide you with a work laptop. They also give you the products to use for the demonstrations like a window or siding sample. The manager there was Scott Temple and he is awesome. Not sure if he is still there. All of the other sales reps were awesome as well. Healthy competition and incentives are given.

Cons

The headquarters is in St. Rose, LA which is 1 hour or more away from my home. I had to go there at least 1-2 times a week for meetings or to pick up stuff, etc. I didn't mind the drive as I love driving but it got expensive with gas. They do not pay you for gas but you are supposed to be able to deduct this from your taxes. It didn't work in my favor. This job IS COMMISSION ONLY!!! There is no base salary so unless you have savings to live off of, you may not make it. I was the #1 sales rep several times but when I made a sale the client did not have money or credit to pay. So although you make sales and look good on paper or no the white board, your paycheck isn't showing anything. I had to use my savings and ended up with nothing in the end after 7 months. In addition to this, some of the locations I had to drive to do do presentations were hours away... up to 4 hours sometimes. AND some of the locations were not in the safest neighborhoods. I was scared several times. The hours you work also are so-so as some of your appts would last 2-4 hours and you may not get home til 9 p.m. or midnight.

Advice to Management

Pay for gas. Give a base salary. This has put me in debt and I am still trying to get back to normal after 2 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Disheartening"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are able to get on the right team you can make a great impression and difference in the business.

Cons

It is very hard to get past the egos. There is very little team building and a lot of self promotion.

Advice to Management

Know the backgrounds of your team members. Maximize their strengths and position their jobs accordingly. Your team will be more streamlined and effective.

"toxic culture"

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of young people work here

Cons

culture of losing, terrible outlook

Advice to Management

upgrade the stores