Sears - Working for Sears Home Improvement put me in debt | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Working for Sears Home Improvement put me in debt"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you work for Sears Home Improvement, you sell windows, siding, doors, AC/heating units, siding, etc. You are given the leads so no cold calling. They teach you the presentation to give in people's homes and provide you with a work laptop. They also give you the products to use for the demonstrations like a window or siding sample. The manager there was Scott Temple and he is awesome. Not sure if he is still there. All of the other sales reps were awesome as well. Healthy competition and incentives are given.

Cons

The headquarters is in St. Rose, LA which is 1 hour or more away from my home. I had to go there at least 1-2 times a week for meetings or to pick up stuff, etc. I didn't mind the drive as I love driving but it got expensive with gas. They do not pay you for gas but you are supposed to be able to deduct this from your taxes. It didn't work in my favor. This job IS COMMISSION ONLY!!! There is no base salary so unless you have savings to live off of, you may not make it. I was the #1 sales rep several times but when I made a sale the client did not have money or credit to pay. So although you make sales and look good on paper or no the white board, your paycheck isn't showing anything. I had to use my savings and ended up with nothing in the end after 7 months. In addition to this, some of the locations I had to drive to do do presentations were hours away... up to 4 hours sometimes. AND some of the locations were not in the safest neighborhoods. I was scared several times. The hours you work also are so-so as some of your appts would last 2-4 hours and you may not get home til 9 p.m. or midnight.

Advice to Management

Pay for gas. Give a base salary. This has put me in debt and I am still trying to get back to normal after 2 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Good pay, company goal not managements"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay at any position

Cons

Forget family time despite company stressing different. Not much thought goes into dm appointments at least in my area the current I work for is the worst at her job than anybody I have ever encountered at any position in years of retail. Stress is a prevalent by product though could be primarily caused by incompetent dm.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Without them you fail

2. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offer developmental opportunities to advance in the company, friendly environment, great life/work balance. Very professional company overall.

Cons

Pay is low for most hourly associates. Managers work 6 days a week and long hours during the holiday (4th quarter) season. Company is very driven by numbers and can be stressfull.

Advice to Management

The company offers excellent opportunities for personal growth in certain employment areas. Growth in the company is there but they do not pay well for people who move up from within. The culture that has been embedded in the company makes it one of the most genuine places to work and most people I believe are very satisfied.