Sears - It was not that bad | Glassdoor

"It was not that bad"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment for starters

Cons

Not so much growth in terms of career opportunities

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

"Do not work here"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to know your Coworkers, because you are all "enduring" working there.

Cons

I could write pages but I have a job interview to prepare for. Upper management is terrible. You have goals that have nothing to do with sears directly making money or you making money for the matter. It's Base + commission (Base being $6, and commission being nearly 1% of most transactions). You pretty much get minimum wage half the time, an the other half maybe an extra buck. You have to push reward membership that customers don't understand, getting their email for marketing purposes, and having a good BOT aka Balance of Transactions (Which means your forced to check out customers with a very slow and awkward ipod touch or ipad with bad software) 90% percent of customers just stare at you while you stare at the loading screen during the Point-of-Sale. A normal check out you would ring on the register would take about 2 minutes, pretty slow. A normal check out on an ipod or ipad can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes (it varies because if you need to back out at the end if a customer changes their mind about something you need to start all over). Management knows it is inefficient but will still chew you out and put you on an improvement plan if you don't use them and instead use the faster register (except black Friday, they let you use registers then). Since I've been working there they never mention anything about my sales being good, it's all about rewards, emails, and ipods (None make you money). But then again the goals and focuses at sears change all the time. There's probably about 15-20 different metrics, and managements interests in the different metrics change all the time depending on what one district feels like yelling about. Sears reminds me of a chicken with its head cut off. The company doesn't fully understand what it wants or needs, and they are currently experimenting around with the stupidest of things. I've never grown to hate anything in my life till I worked here.

Advice to Management

Tell corporate they have no idea what their doing.

2. "cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people you work with

Cons

sears doesnt invest any money on its employees their sooooo cheap