Sears - Too micro managed | Glassdoor

"Too micro managed"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

the pay is good if you are an external hire
very flexible with work schedule

Cons

Senior management has figured out a way to micro manage to the nth degree, yuck

Advice to Management

go back to empowering the stores to succeed

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "I enjoyed working at Sears. I met so many great people and had the opportunity to network with many top executives."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

I had the opportunity to network with many top executives. I learned a lot throughout the course of my 12-week internship.

Cons

I would say that the only downside to working with Sears is the fact that they do not offer the full-time employees the 401k matching package.

Advice to Management

I think that this company has a very unique atmosphere and everyone that works here is very friendly and nice.

"Going down fast!!"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate-Appliances in North Little Rock, AR

Pros

Pay is great when the promotions match or exceed other big box retailers for appliance sales. Have most popular brands to sell.

Cons

Sales are not advertised enough. Sears does not offer free delivery like most of the big box retailers offer these days. (Big deal to the customer as it should be). Financing promotions come and go and do not compete with other retailers. Customers ask you all the questions then find out they have to pay delivery and that there is no financing options and leave to buy it at other stores where these services are offered. Where is Sears' sense of competition?

Also, stock is pretty much non-existent or way too late for the season. Where are all of the air conditioners at? The same thing will happen every year. The store will not get adequate stock of air conditioners until after the summer months and then will be stored in the back room until next years season when the cycle repeats itself.

If they do not wake up they will be tossed out on the street like Circuit City and others that did not recognize the competitive nature of other companies.
    Managements treatment of the associates is the worst I have ever witnessed throughout my career. Sears just doesn't care about thier employees anymore. Thier attitude is that they can just get someone else to fill your shoes; and they will for that matter.

Advice to Management

Since I have worked for Sears, they have never sought the opinions of the associates. This, other than listening to the customer, is in my opinion one of the worst things that a company can do. The associates are the front line contact to the customer (Sears' bread and butter) and every time there is a meeting the first words out of management's mouth is 'this meeting is not a b**** session so I do not want to hear anything negative.' Don't want to hear anything negative? We have operational problems that are essential to everyday business and some go higher than our stores' management. Do you need to know about this? Short answer and the smartest answer is YES you do need to know about them. Sears needs to make a major transformation from the ground up and concentrate on how they once were the biggest and most respected retailer in the nation. If this is not done, and done soon, the company will fail.