Sears - Good part time job, definetely for a college student. Good pay, as it scales with your effort. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Good part time job, definetely for a college student. Good pay, as it scales with your effort."

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Consultant in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Appliance Sales Consultant in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Higher than average pay for a college student.
Very flexible scheduling.
Good recognition and rewards for performing well.
Fun, polite, nice staff.
A vast array of materials available to help you perform your job.
Good sense of pride and achievement for its level in the job heiarchy.

Cons

Can either be very short or long hours, and must work holidays.
Some processes and systems are outdated.
Can be stressful and physically/mentally demanding.
Strict performance standards determine your schedule.
Signs of business practices agree with predictions that the company is to be sold in the near future.

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Its a job."

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you work with the right people, it can be a fun place to work at. Some guys were real laid back so that made things easier and made time go by a lot faster.

Access to good discounts on already reduced priced merchandise.

You can get a good workout working in receiving.

Some ok managers who recognized good work but not a lot.

Cons

Poor management- My immediate bosses were fine and put in their time. I found upper management to not always meet that criteria. Some people in upper management were so inept, it astonished me that they still had jobs. It really did. They did not even know how to do their jobs. The associates had to do EVERYTHING for them. I remember one woman basically saying she didn't know how. Managers rarely gave praise to anyone and were always complaining how something wasn't done right. Caused horrible moral. I thought about doing the management program seeing how I had a degree. After the way I saw things run, I backed off. Don't waste my time.

Pay was garbage- I was working for 7 years there and received only a couple of raises and with the minimum wage increase, it upped my pay to $8.25/hr from $7.75/hr I started at 7 years earlier. Not good for someone who has put in their time there. I had guys who came in later making more then me.

Bad coworkers- Now I had some very good guys working with me, but I also had some real tools as well. Some of my coworkers were so lazy, nothing would get done and then they would complain about lack of hours. Some took extra long breaks or just wandered the store. Nothing was done about it either. I also knew of some coworkers that were high on weed when coming in. I nearly was seriously injured twice in 3 days by falling merchandise by one kid who was high both times. Again, no one wants to step up and do something about it when I complained. Guys would come in 15-30 mins late and nothing would happen. I would get scolded for just clocking in 5 mins early.

HR- Not only was upper management bad but so was HR. The HR manager I had at Sears was beyond incompetent. She had absolutely no clue on Sears policies or labor laws and would take weeks to get back to you on pertinent information when it was requested. It was actually very frustrating because I remember needing information ASAP regarding health insurance and my calls would be avoided because she had no answer for me. She would conveniently disappear at meetings when I went to see her at work . God Forbid if I could not take a lunch break because we were busy in receiving and were down people. She would be all over me for that in a heart beat. et on something I needed, I could not get an answer. HR should be a lot better then this. If she would of done a better job, I would not of worked with some real terrible coworkers.

Schedule- I was ok for the most part with that because my bosses liked me and I worked so I could usually plan what hours I wanted. However, the store hours especially around the holidays are horrible. To stay open past 9:30 is insane. I don't care how close to Christmas it is. NO ONE COMES IN THAT LATE! You can save money on electricity and salaries by just closing down then no matter what. If people want their merchandise, they will make time to get it.

Got to watch your back- You may get canned for no reason. I saw it happen. Pathetic too at some of the excuses management used to to get rid of people over things that usually were fabricated.

No direction- I had no idea half the time the reason for certain changes to be done. It was real mind boggling how some of the managers thought they were doing us a favor by making changes in the stockroom. It caused headaches and more meaningless work for people in receiving to do on top of everything else we had on our plate. If you tried to offer a different view point, you may get in trouble and were considered dangerous. One of my mangers was fired because he found an easier, more efficient way to do things but that did not agree with what the district manager wanted.

Its Receiving's fault- Receiving got blamed for a lot of issues that had nothing to do with us. Management didn't want to blame themselves so they blamed Receiving. Hard to get the job accomplished when we are not allowed to schedule enough people during a shift to finish projects and we have customers coming in by the dozens for items. Few mangers took the time to see what actually went on in our dept.

Advice to Management

Just do the right thing and shut down Sears. Its slowly bleeding to death. Yeah you had some profits recently but again things are going down yet again and you will not make a profit in the long run. Your clothing lines are ok but not great. Craftsmen and Kenmore barely keep you alive. Your electronics are good but could be better if you learned to keep items in stock more efficiently. You don't know how to take care of employees nor do you know how to change with the times. Its a shame too because a lot of jobs will be lost. But that is what happens with inept managing.

2. "Sales associate at sears"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

Stable work schedule and friendly work environment. They encouraged a work friendly environment, but also made sure people were still doing their jobs.

Cons

Pay was terrible
    Managers didnt know what to do
    Sales signs needed to be changed everyday and often work different from the sales in the newspaper

Advice to Management

Quit hiding from customers and answer their questions. your sales team can not do everything for you. Be out on the flloor with your employees