Sears - Working at Sears from a management perspective. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

"Working at Sears from a management perspective."

Pros

As part of the Senior Management Team is a store. There is a work life balance. The ASMs work between 45-50 hours a week and as the SM I work between 55-60 hours weekly. There are many opportunities when your at this level. Each store is different and depends on the SM. With in my store I encourage upward movement and push managers to reach there next goal.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. For SMs they are in the ballpark, but if you are up and coming with in the organization don't expect a large raise. With ASMs there base pay is below the average of other retailers. For associates there is no pay based on experience and most positions are minimum wage. With associates that sell. There are 100% commissioned. They will receive a base pay of minimum wage if they do not sell enough, but this is done on bank draw basis. One week they could do bad and get MW and then have a great week and have to put the money from the previous week back to the bank. A big discouragement for Store Managers is the lack of direction and focus from the Senior Leadership team. They are always a step behind other retailers and are never the leader.

Advice to Management

For Senior Leadership. Focus on one thing and get good at that. Then move on to the next. Take advice from the field and listen to what your stores are telling you. Be the Leader! This is an institution of Retail. Playing catchup will not work forever.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. "Not the worst job I've ever had... but close"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Sears helped me become more comfortable connecting with people who I didn't know - I'm naturally a little shy and working at Sears forced me to come out of my shell, which I'm grateful for.

Cons

The connection between the individual stores and the corporate office is nonexistent. Likewise, seeing managers do things that undermine employees don't help anything much. The biggest topic in the break was always who else was hiring and what career fairs were coming to the area. One of my biggest complaints was the fact that they told me that I wasn't allowed to attend school part-time because they wanted my schedule completely dedicated to them. It was that day I started looking for a new job (which I got within a month)

Advice to Management

Understand your markets and empower your employees - If you treat them like thieves, they will more than likely act that way. At least ask how your employees and customers view your stores and try to seem like you care.

"Upper Management is very unfair."

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

Well, you get a 20% discount on clothing? That's all I can come up with. Sorry. Not a great job.

Cons

DM gets pushed by corporate, so they push the store managers, who push the ASMs, who push your lead, who treat you like dirt for it. Especially if you can't meet they're extreme credit sales goals. I put up with it for 3 years until, my hours were cut to SIX a month, because, I didn't get a credit application that month and anything less than 5 is unacceptable. (no matter how many transactions you process, especially frustrating since their business level is abismal.)

Advice to Management

Managers seem to forgot that employees deserve respect and compassion, despite sales. corporate needs to treat store management better and work would be better for all associates. And no one wants your high intrest cards!