Select Medical - Disappointing, absolutely no communication between management and no follow up on policies, only care about bottom line | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Select Medical

"Disappointing, absolutely no communication between management and no follow up on policies, only care about bottom line"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greenville, SC
Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greenville, SC

I worked at Select Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, interesting patient cases, however many circumstances not safe for patients

Cons

Understaffed!!! Patient care suffers because of this! We have 6:1 ratio of patients to nurses, this is with many patients having high risk airways, on vents and unstable. We never have enough CNA's and patients are always complaining that they can't get anyone to come to their room when needed. They only care about the bottom line.

Management is unseen on night shift, unless of course you do something "wrong" (which half the time is only because they don't voice the policies to our shift and then get upset when we don't know about them). It would be nice to be told thanks for picking up a million shifts so this place can stay open or thanks for going that extra mile, but no it's always a negative encounter.

Our HR department knows absolutely nothing about policies when it come to human resources related stuff. I have been told many times " I don't know " by HR. I thought it was their job to know.

We have such a high turnover rate, in the last 6 months four of the five people we have hired have already quit. Many people stay long enough to get experience and then leave.

Bottom line, keep your license and be appreciated as a hard worker and work somewhere else!!

Advice to Management

Take a moment to thank your employees and get to know your employees that work third shift. Follow through on your policies and see that they are being followed by everyone and make sure you communicate those policies to EVERYONE so that we can all be on the same page!
HR- brush up on the companies policies that you work for, so that when employees come to you for information you can give it to them.
Give us more staff so that we can safely care for these patients!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Select Medical

"Suffocating, chaotic and de-energizing environment to anyone not a robot"

Current Employee - IT in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - IT in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience and meet some really awesome people

Cons

Salary and benefits for experienced staff below other employers. Retirement and educational benefits are severely lacking. Very high turnover rate. Most employees stay just long enough to get experience and move on. Extremely conservative hierarchy with inexperienced management. No real communication between departments (in spite of hours spent in unproductive meetings because everyone is afraid to say something wrong) or within departments. Threatened by outside ideas and prefer to place blame vs problem solve using root cause analysis or team brainstorming. Constantly jumping from one plan to the next without any methodology has created a chaotic and inefficient workplace.

Advice to Management

Reward and respect employees for a job well done instead of the constant requests to do more with less and do it better. Don't act surprised with the high turnover and when salaried employees balk at consistently working over 70 hrs per week without additional pay or comp time. For goodness sakes, put a good plan in place and solve some problems!

"Not ideal"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

higher pay than most companies in my area.

Cons

If you are a therapist, your paperwork is micromanaged. They never point out things you do well, just everything you are doing wrong. There is zero employee appreciation and I have never once heard anything about quality of care. They don't care about the patients or you. You have to wait 90 days to be eligible for benefits (other places I've worked it was the first of the next month of hire) and you don't START accruing PTO until AFTER 90 days. No holiday pay. You have to maintain 90% productivity which is difficult. The second you fall below that they are all over you. If you are looking for top dollar, this company pays well. If not, I would not recommend working for Select Medical.