Selectica - Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Selectica

"Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep."

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time with Selectica I learned a lot about Marketing, Lead Generation, Demand Generation, Sales, Business Development, Business Services, Professional Services, etc. I am thrilled to have Selectica on my resume and am forever thankful to the Rock Stars that asked me to participate in the development of their business as well as my own professional career.

Cons

Poor top level decision making made for a constant divergence in marketplace strategy and marketing messaging strategy. During my time with Selectica, I never really understood who we were as a Company. Unfortunately executive leadership churn was high casing constant consternation amongst the staff. Ultimately I got what I needed from Selectica and moved on to work in Sales at another organization and am thriving for my time spent with my team in Selectica.

Advice to Management

Upon submission of my 7 page brief/exit analysis of my time spent in Selectica I surmised that establishing realistic, well defined goals is the first step to righting the ship. The newest CEO is a great example of a true Leader with ambitious but pragmatic ideas and values. I expect only good things to come for Selectica as long as middle management can let Leadership lead!

Selectica Response

Dec 12, 2014 – HR/Accountant

As you correctly indicated, prior to 18 months ago the company underwent a lot of change. Since then, in the last 12 months, the leadership team has been almost totally unchanged - except that we... More

Other Employee Reviews for Selectica

1. "Startup Feel in an Established Company with a Compelling Vision."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Years ago, Selectica experienced a loss of focus under previous management, which alienated high performers. Current management has turned around the malaise. For the most part, we have the right team in place (the deadwood has been asked to go), and an excitement level around the direction of the company which I'm told hasn't been present in years. Even better, the company is generous with employees and empowers people to make decisions.

Other reviewers have been critical of the new "first time" CEO, so I'll address this also. The CEO is a culture guy, and that's what the company needed. The environment is fun, hip and the company has brought on a number of sharp people in the last 6 months. People sometimes bring pets. Snacks and drinks are abundant, and table tennis tournaments are a mainstay at all times of the day. The work environment is (almost) entirely devoid of the usual B.S. political moves you'd find in other software companies (big and small). Moreover, I get the impression that everyone I interact with on a daily basis is talented and knows what he or she is doing.

More importantly, our CEO reorganized the company around a focused cloud solution, which seems pretty smart. Existing clients have personally told me they're excited about the new focused direction of the company. Everyone I've talked to in sales is fired up and is highly confident about exceeding targets.

For reference: I'm in sales (not sales management)

Cons

There's some work to do bringing up existing accounts to current versions, and challenges around shifting to an "all cloud" company. In other words, short term growing pains, which is a good "con" to have.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - Keep the culture fun and loose, and keep empowering people to make decisions. Also, keep an eye on overseas expansion into europe and asia-pac.

"Selectica has been exceptional for me and provides daily excitement in a very hot and growing market space."

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee can and is encouraged/empowered to be able to make a direct impact to the company both personally and professionally.

Cons

Great product, great customers, wonderfully engaged employees now just need to continue to grow with high quality resources to keep up with the pace.

Advice to Management

Keeping focus on the employees and the true key values the company has recently set forth upon.

Selectica Response

Dec 15, 2014 – HR/Accountant

Thanks so much for your comments. Our new Employee Council is prioritizing merging the values of Selectica and Iasta (now that we have merged the companies). Luckily, our values are so close already... More