SendGrid - High Growth Company comes with Opportunity and Growing Pains | Glassdoor

"High Growth Company comes with Opportunity and Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Culture still remains strong even with the IPO and lots of shifts in how we operate as a company. Phenomenal coworkers. Great benefits and office space. Great work/life balance.

Cons

With high growth comes frequent change, which often takes the form of added processes, which can feel cumbersome and detrimental to fast progress. Communication becomes more difficult the larger the organization gets, and miscommunication can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the people. Make sure key stakeholders are informed even at the IC level before announcing decisions across the organization. Do everything you can to retain those that are really making a positive impact, as that passion to make a difference also often comes with little patience for frustration and roadblocks.

SendGrid2018-08-07
  1. "Seriously the best career choice I've ever made"

Current Employee - Product in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- culture and people are amazing, they challenge you and push you to be the best version of yourself. - decision making process is astounding for a company of our size. Product, finance and engineering decisions are made in a very data-driven way. - Willing to discuss the hard topics and make the most informed decision. - Benefits are amazing, free lunch everyday is fantastic, i hope we don't lose this. - If you're motivated and willing to work hard, you can be recognized and tasked with more responsibility. I've seen many people grow their careers here and be promoted every year based on their performance and determination.

Cons

- typical pains related to integrating with Twilio after the acquisition in Feb of 2019. Most painful of which is the figuring out how we make decisions now as one larger company. (Twilio has less process / standard way to make decisions, SendGrid has a formalized process). - The general energy of the company is lower now after the Twilio acquisition – still positive but now that we're not a standalone, public company, there appears to be less control over our business (email, email marketing) destiny. - Culture of Twilio, while close to SendGrid's, is definitely different and will take some time to feel part of one

Advice to Management

Keep working to make Twilio better by adopting and incorporating the best processes, people and systems across the two companies. There is a lot to learn from the employees at both companies that, if implemented, could result in an awesome company.

SendGrid2019-07-09
  2. "Great Company in Denver"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great culture and fantastic people.

Cons

Expectations for work can be unrealistic.

SendGrid2019-11-15

Discover more reviews about SendGrid.