Sentara Healthcare - I will look for a healthcare company to values ALL of their employees! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sentara Healthcare

"I will look for a healthcare company to values ALL of their employees!"

Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent healthcare benefits, largest employer to work for, many locations.

Cons

Policies are enforced based on the employee's relationship with management, transferring policies, medical leave policies, slow recruitment turn around, pregnancy policies.

Advice to Management

Many female employees = Many possible pregnant employees. I think the policies regarding who qualifies for FMLA, MEDICAL LEAVE, SHORT-TERM DISABILITY need to be reviewed. I personally was terminated after returning from short-term disability (did not qualify for FMLA, so my position was not held) because I was unable to obtain a new position within the 30 day time limit. Knowing how recruitment at Sentara works, it really depends on the recruiter on how fast the positions are filled. I can understand that physicians, other advanced level practitioner, and registered nurses are on the top of list in regards to filling positions. However, nursing care partners, administrative associates, environmental services, etc are the on the front lines. They are the associates that are face-to-face with your clients on a daily basis, spending more time with the clients than many healthcare providers. With customer service as a major concern, more consideration should be put into filling those positions. It takes the recruiters more than 30 days to fill a position, ask them!

Other Employee Reviews for Sentara Healthcare

1. "Ok. Wasn't quite for me."

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Gloucester, VA
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Gloucester, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the co workers and direct managers. Small group of staff who cares for their patients and community

Cons

Upper management not the best. Pay on lower end. With being an urgent care you don't always know what time you will finish your work day.

2. "4 years at Sentara as an RN, in 3 different divisions"

Former Employee - Home Care, Hospital Nurse, Outpatient Setting in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Home Care, Hospital Nurse, Outpatient Setting in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mandatory paid continuing ed for nurses. Relatively good benefits and pay for the area of Hampton Roads. Ability to move between jobs in the Sentara system

Cons

Each employee is expected to do the job of 2 employees. Sentara, a highly profitable non-profit corporation, focuses on the bottom line and employees are driven to perform beyond normally accepted case loads and standards. In my opinion, this does not lead to enhanced patient safety or positive patient outcomes as Sentara touts. Magnet status-I just do not know how this has been achieved for SNGH or will be achieved for other Sentara facilities.

Advice to Management

Care for you employees and enable them to truly care for patients of your system if you want to be the best.