Sentara Healthcare - Great job if you like drama, gossip and lack of organization. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sentara Healthcare

"Great job if you like drama, gossip and lack of organization."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and steady hours. Easy job for the most part, a lot of openings if you want to transfer departments/learn other areas

Cons

High turnover, so short staffed that there is no disiplinary action for bad behaviors because they don't want to lose more staff, so everyone pretty much runs rampant and does what they want. No patient focus, unsafe practices and you will be worked to death trying to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Enforce policies, treat staff fairly and recognize the people who do well.

Other Employee Reviews for Sentara Healthcare

1. "As a volunteer, I spent most of the time sitting around doing very little."

Former Intern - Auxiliary Volunteer in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Intern - Auxiliary Volunteer in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to study and do homework during your shift. The nurses were generally very friendly and grateful of the work volunteers did. Great exposure to the different hospital departments especially if you are able to register early and select which department you want to help in. Interactions with patients can be fun. Patients are generally very grateful for your help, especially if you go out of the way to make them feel especially comfortable.

Cons

Nurses don't have a ton of work to give volunteers so it was pretty boring. It was very uncomfortable walking in to patient rooms unannounced and unaccompanied.

Advice to Management

Organize specific activities and projects for volunteers.

"I will look for a healthcare company to values ALL of their employees!"

Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent healthcare benefits, largest employer to work for, many locations.

Cons

Policies are enforced based on the employee's relationship with management, transferring policies, medical leave policies, slow recruitment turn around, pregnancy policies.

Advice to Management

Many female employees = Many possible pregnant employees. I think the policies regarding who qualifies for FMLA, MEDICAL LEAVE, SHORT-TERM DISABILITY need to be reviewed. I personally was terminated after returning from short-term disability (did not qualify for FMLA, so my position was not held) because I was unable to obtain a new position within the 30 day time limit. Knowing how recruitment at Sentara works, it really depends on the recruiter on how fast the positions are filled. I can understand that physicians, other advanced level practitioner, and registered nurses are on the top of list in regards to filling positions. However, nursing care partners, administrative associates, environmental services, etc are the on the front lines. They are the associates that are face-to-face with your clients on a daily basis, spending more time with the clients than many healthcare providers. With customer service as a major concern, more consideration should be put into filling those positions. It takes the recruiters more than 30 days to fill a position, ask them!