Sentry Data Systems - Horrible place to work | Glassdoor

"Horrible place to work"

Pros

If you are one of management's favorites you are able to come and go as you please. You will also be allowed to work from home whenever you want. The non-management employees are a great group of people to work with. They all get along wall and there really isn't any "office politics" that goes on between them.

You also get to pick the type of equipment that you work on. So if you are a Mac person you will be provided with a decent Macbook Pro, if you prefer Windows you get a fairly decent Dell or HP laptop. I am sure that the people who use Linux as their OS get one of the Dell laptops that come with Linux installed.

Cons

There is no training of new employees to speak of, you are told to go read the documentation. The only problem with that is that the documentation is woefully inadequate and extremely outdated.

Another con to working here is that the structure of teams is completely messed up, having an almost 1:1 ratio of PMs to non-PMs. Each PM tells each member of the team what their highest priority should be, so it isn't unusual to be told that different projects are your highest priority throughout the day. Then when you don't work 100% of your time on that PMs project(s), you have to have hour long meetings with all of the PMs to get what your priorities should be, which each PM then completely ignores.

Also, recently management has made some of the employees switch to be 1099 contract workers. Because of this, lots of the current employees who weren't converted to 1099 workers are looking for other jobs or have already left.

Advice to Management

The number of PMs to non-PMs in this company is asinine. You need to hire people who can actually work on a project to be able to complete projects. Hiring more PMs will not aid in getting projects accomplished if the Analysts that work on the projects are already at 150% capacity and can't take on more projects.

Also, treat all of your employees equally and don't let favorite employees have privileges (working from home, flexible schedule, etc) that other employees in the same position do not have.

Other Employee Reviews for Sentry Data Systems

"Flexible but high-stress"

Pros

Telecommuting is encouraged, flexible hours, lots of vacation time

Cons

High-stress, nearly impossible deadlines, often demanding many more than 40 hours/week

"Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love being able to work remotely, for it allows for flexibility and concentration. I don't have to worry about office politics or being interrupted while I work. Sentry has clear and defined goals which we all work to accomplish and help us feel as if we are part of a larger vision. Management is helpful and even though most of us work remotely, managers are always available and willing to listen.

Cons

There is an obvious disconnect between those employees who work at the office and the ones who work remotely which goes beyond physical boundaries. I sometimes feel as if we don't all belong to the same team. Once we train on site, we don't visit our headquarters often or at all and it contributes to a feeling of isolation. There is also a problem with redundancy. Many times I have been working tirelessly on a project, only to find out that another group is working on the same endeavor. Medical benefits for family plans are extremely expensive.

Advice to Management

Having some activities to help unite and bond employees would be beneficial. It would be great to have your remote employees come in periodically to help with team bonding. Middle management should have a better understanding of which projects to work on to avoid duplicate efforts across different groups.