Sentry - Set up for failure | Glassdoor

"Set up for failure"

Former Contractor - Programmer/Analyst I in Madison, WI
Former Contractor - Programmer/Analyst I in Madison, WI

I worked at Sentry as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with good people who are really knowledgeable about their software. Free coffee in the break room.

Cons

On my first day I was sat at my desk and told I would be taken around and introduced when more people had arrived. This never happened. So I didn't really know who anybody was or what they did. Took over a week to get me SVN access to even look at code, all this time the managers were expecting me to be actually working....somehow. It is very hard to get any sort of help because all of the developers higher than level 1 are either always in meetings, or always surrounded by people asking them questions. The managers expected me to somehow get completely familiar and fluent in their HUGE amount of code in like a week and they expected me to know things/languages that I never claimed to know. Their process of getting code reviewed, checked, tested and moved to different stages of production usually took days or over a week in some cases, and the managers got unhappy with me for taking so long on my defects even though they were out of my hands because I had sent my fix off to be tested by their QA people.

Advice to Management

Don't expect the new guys you hire right out of college to know absolutely everything; they haven't dealt with most of the stuff you are going to throw at them. Give them feedback about their work and make sure they have lots of help to get them started.

Other Employee Reviews for Sentry

"Good experience, bad pay."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Sentry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, 401k is matched up to 6%, good experience to get in to health field. Great job for someone who just graduated from college and doesn't know any better.

Cons

Bad pay, work load is unrealistic, local management is good, although corporate office changes rules day by day. Pay and raises are minimal. Home office is completely disconnected from the rest of the offices. Software reporting system is flawed and causes more frustration for adjusters.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly, otherwise you will continue to lose good people. Even out the work load for equal job types.

"Good Insurance Rates, Tough Underwriting Guidelines Hinder Sales Potential, Odd Field Service Requirements"

Former Employee - Consumer Product Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consumer Product Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Company Car, Benefits, Base + Commission, Competitive Insurance Rates, Flexibility

Cons

Home Office (good in some ways, bad in others). Having to go out and take pictures of all houses you sign. Most other insurance companies do not require this.

Advice to Management

Loosen the underwriting guidelines so sales reps can sell more policies. Have Field Service Representatives go take pictures of homes, not Agents/Consumer Product Specialists/Sales People. Deliver policies in the mail directly to customers, not make the sales rep deliver them.