Sentry - Great traing | Glassdoor

"Great traing"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Stevens Point, WI
Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Sentry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

training and corporate golf perks

Cons

stale, stuffy culture, top-down approach

Advice to Management

Move into the 21st century

Other Employee Reviews for Sentry

1. "Too many politics to maintain any passion or loyalty towards the work or the company."

Former Contractor - Java Programmer in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Contractor - Java Programmer in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Sentry as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Its in a city which has low cost of living.

Cons

Politics at every level.
    Management does not appreciate your efforts, they do say big words but dont let them fool yeah cause thats all they do.

Advice to Management

I dont think the management cares how they just move project from one director to other while scraping a very strong team that worked very hard and in a very stressfull environment and still made the deadlines with a bang (www.sentry.com). Yeah all that because one new manager did not get along with the existing director and teamed up with other directors and managers and architects to scrap the project and start new under a new platform, yeah start new from JAVA to .net after 1 year of endless hrs from the team and the guy leading it. Moreover no bloody appreciation on the efforts either. Just one formality sake email. Yeah why would they appreciate the effort knowing about the plan behind the scenes to scrap it. I would never join this company again nor will i recommend

"Worst leadership I've seen yet"

Current Employee - Claims Representative II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sentry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're new to insurance it will be a good stepping stone to a better company

Cons

Theres no leadership what so ever... the management motto should be "pass the buck" because the offer no helpful advise other then "heres how to stay off a list". The work load is insane... theres an average of 280 pending, but that doesnt include record only! Add an additional 80 to 120 record only files and the work product becomes sub par. Oh and in a recent meeting the so called ceo armstrobgstates "I had no Iidea our customers were 80% spanish speaking"... seriously... also the worst insurance plan I've seen a company have... it'd be cheaper to not even have the insurance and pay everything out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Learn the differance between being an effective leader and a boss. Learn how to use the system as well... you can't really manage or lead a person when you are clueless to how the systemworks.