Sephora - Amazing Company, Amazing People | Glassdoor

"Amazing Company, Amazing People"

Former Employee - Senior Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Honestly some of the most incredible, passionate people I've ever worked with. While I can't say that there is strong, capable leaders across the board, I was lucky enough to work with some of the best in the company. I learned so much and am always grateful for my time at Sephora. I was able to hold many different roles within the company and felt supported in my career goals and aspirations. Great benefits. At the time, I didn't think we had very strong benefits. But since leaving, I've realized that grass isn't always greener on the other side. The package is very comprehensive and I feel as if the company takes care of their people. I miss the free product and Summer Fridays the most (corporate employees leave at 1pm on Fridays during the summer).

Cons

There's a terrible pattern of behavior where people were promoted in order to retain them --- but they really aren't qualified for the elevated role or scope. Org design is not very thoughtful even though the head of HR supposedly has a background in it. There are SO many VP's who should not be VP's... But in my entire career at Sephora, I'd say there's always been an issue with internal systems and support. I did not have faith in our leadership when it came to prioritizing programs, systems, and spend to support future growth and operations internally. I didn't personally experience it, but I've heard from trusted colleagues about the toxic work environment in certain teams (specifically merchandising -- there are several "mean girls" whose terrible, bullying behavior is tolerated because they're very talented merchants. They should be individual contributors instead of managing a team).

Advice to Management

1) Rip off the band-aid and say goodbye to toxic leaders. 2) Continue to champion employees and give opportunities to grow through side hustles, educational rotations, trips, etc. That's how you retain talent -- not just by promoting them.

Sephora2019-07-02
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Distribution Analyst

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great support for learning and improvement

Cons

-higher pay would be great

Sephora2020-01-16
  2. "Lots of fun - many opportunities"

Former Employee - Store Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are tons of opportunities for a person who is willing to put in extra effort. The company is very good at training exempt level employees and help develop to be ready for next steps.

Cons

Mid-level store management tend to get overlooked for development and end up working the more difficult hours - which can cause a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee development, but add mid-level key holders to this training.

Sephora2020-01-18

Discover more reviews about Sephora.