Sequoia - EE Benefits, 401(k), Risk Management and HR Services Firm with top notch EEs who deliver for clients and each other. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia

"EE Benefits, 401(k), Risk Management and HR Services Firm with top notch EEs who deliver for clients and each other."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – Growth, growth, growth. Company is expanding. Greg Golub is a visionary who has taken the insurance brokerage model and classed it up... provides top tier sales and relationship consultants who deliver on promises. Sequoia is very selective in hiring and high-touch/consultative in their approach to benefits, 401(k) and risk management (p&c) brokering. Strong client value-add with their advanced "MY BENEFITS" iphone and android apps. Sequoia has a very impressive client list -- I get to work with some of the best tech companies in the Bay Area. CEO is very generous to EEs... Entrepreneurial culture.

Cons

Cons – Hiring process can be long -- you meet with a lot of people before a decision is made. They are outgrowing their office space and infrastructure. The latter, I presume, is why they're bringing on a COO. CEO is heavily involved in all aspects of the business - not necessarily a negative but it can slow progress and may impede future growth.

Advice to Management

Improve vacation time and grow staff so current staff isn't burned out.

Other Employee Reviews for Sequoia

"Loved my time at Sequoia"

Former Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sequoia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to shape a company and add value, wear a lot of hats and learn a lot of skills.
    CEO/leadership that cares about clients and people, not just the bottom line. Care about how things are done, not just getting them done.
    Really amazing team of people that care about each other and building something special.
    Cool to be part of something in the insurance industry that different and not typical corporate america

Cons

Its hard work and not just a list of things you need to do to be successful. Need to figure it out, use resources, ask for help. Things move quick.

Advice to Management

Your team members are invested and care, so when things arent going so well, talk about, name it and team members will support what you need to do to turn it around. Its okay if its not always positive.

"Great people but frustrating management and leadership"

I have been working at Sequoia full-time

Pros

- Nice, hardworking people who want to help each other
    - Company is well respected in the industry
    - Technology team has built amazing product
    - Nice office with new furniture
    - Holiday party is lavish
    - Some groups put on lots of activities to help team spirit

Cons

- Management style here can range from suffocating micromanagement or no management at all depending on who you report to
    - Lots of pointless update meetings - some of us are in 20+ recurring meetings a week - on top of an extreme workload and random pop up meetings
    - Churn - people leave or are let go with little or no mention to their coworkers. Lots of people have left or been booted in the past couple of months and nothing is said, you just find out they're gone by seeing an empty desk
    - Facilities are poorly managed, "free snacks" for the week are often gone by Monday afternoon, some parts of the office are freezing while others are boiling. One day I saw the thermostat at 88 degrees. The little things can go a long way.

Advice to Management

Be straight with your employees. We see through the hype in the all hands meetings. It raises questions and concerns when day to day we hear things aren't going well then we come together as a company and it's an agenda of people congratulating themselves.

Hire to meet needs. You can talk about investing in systems and technology but if people are expected to be working 60-80 hour weeks consistently you are going to burn them out.

Put time and money where your mouth is when it comes to employees. We hear over and over about how important the team and the people are, yet we see "Sequoia fit" people canned or leaving frequently, with the only explanation that they were actually not a "fit" - even some people who have been here for a long time.