Service Corporation International - OK | Glassdoor

"OK"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks & benefits, job security

Cons

heavy pressure to sell, management overpaid and out of touch with field.

Advice to Management

Come see what your subordinates do before you make decisions

Other Employee Reviews for Service Corporation International

"Don't care about employees"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with good people and help families

Cons

Underpaid for the work you do

"Tough Business"

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT perks if you make the inflated sales goals. Only a handful people in the area ever reached those levels.

No expense spared on providing fine dining to counselors when the team makes the location goal.

Great people to work with- top down! I loved my boss!

Families and clients are the real gem of this line of work.

Cons

Terrible hours- plan to work every day, all day. Even with 9-12 hour shifts, you're made to feel like you are never doing enough to make sales. Weekends, holidays, nights and mornings I worked 29 our of 30 days per month.

Terrible base pay. At $8/hr, even if you make your sales goal, the pay is about $5 or less per hour. If you are well established or have a community of people (a church for example) you can draw from, making any real money is impossible. You need at least 5 yrs to build a client base and even then you still have to go door to door, make cold calls and find leads. Every month, the cycle starts back at $0.

I was told that "There is a window of time where the family is still grieving and that is when we need to push the family into buying their own end of life insurance policy". VERY high pressure sales with little monetary reward. This is a tough business.

Plan to be outside in snow, sleet and rain. Weather does not matter when a burial is scheduled.

Never felt like I had enough hours in the day to both generate leads AND perform every other task expected of me. They want a lot of documentation of what you are doing to make your sales goal and counselors are responsible to research information, handle client requests that pull them away from making sales. On average, 40% of my day was spent on non-sales focused tasks.

Company lacks employee development and opportunity for advancement. I wanted to move into a funeral director position and was told if I chose to enroll in funeral director school, I would be fired and not even considered for a driver position or other role with more flexible hours within the company.

Advice to Management

Consider price matching if you want to keep your brand relevant. You will always lose sales when the funeral home next door offers the exact same policy at 25% less cost. Open opportunity for your locations to be successful.