Service Corporation International - Huge turnover at the entry level position for Family Service Advisors. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International

"Huge turnover at the entry level position for Family Service Advisors."

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times.

Cons

Huge turnover at all levels in the sales division, and the company just doesn't care. If your in operations, maybe not so bad.

Advice to Management

They are beyond help. Still very much an "old boys network".

Other Employee Reviews for Service Corporation International

"Cares deeply about customers, but could be better to employees"

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It feels good to work at a company where the brand DignityMemorial is more than just words. Families that come in to get funeral and cemetery services for loved ones are treated with respect. The company does expect employees to go the extra mile and the families we serve are always thankful for that. It is emotionally rewarding to help make the worst day of someone's life a little less painful. And when the families thank you for your help, it feels like you have done something important and meaningful.

Cons

If you work at a combo location (cemetery and funeral home) you are expected to work many holidays and often on weekends. Although the opening hours are from 8 - 6, it's easy to get stuck there after hours. Also, if you are working in any sales capacity, you are expected to drive out to people's homes after hours without compensation for your gas. You also are expected to give out your cell phone number and answer clients whenever they call. For all this effort, you can make a decent living, but it is much more challenging than it seams at first. If you are in Family Service, there is a great deal of customer service work that must be performed without compensation. The company see this as opportunities for you to get referrals or sell more to that family, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Advice to Management

Re-think some of the tasks of Family Service Counselors. There are some things that could be done by a sales assistant or customer service person. Then they could pass leads on to sales if they uncover opportunities during the customer service event. Also, rotate out the holidays a bit better. Be sure and set the expectations with your new hires. I was told I would work one Saturday a month and occasionally a holiday or Sunday. During my six months at the company, I was generally expected to work four weekend days a month and every holiday except for Father's Day. By setting the expectations better, you may be able to get people who actually have a lifestyle that can accommodate your needs.

"Tough company to start with. Straight commission. Comp package is difficult to figure out."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the people. They have a decent comp. plan.

Cons

I felt I was pushing a rock up hill. Management only cared about how much was sold. Made up how many appointments were made so he looked good. Also made us work 7 days a week. Long hours.

Advice to Management

Care about people not just the bottom dollar. Consider a base salary. Invest in your people and they will invest in you!!