Seva - Immatures, unprofessional and do not live up to their core values | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Seva

"Immatures, unprofessional and do not live up to their core values"

Former Employee - Director in Highland Park, IL
Former Employee - Director in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Seva full-time

Pros

The company has a great concept that is working. Walmart signed off on the concept and now Seva has an exclusivity right to have their salons in any Walmart that has space available.

Cons

I have years of experience working at a Fortune 500 company and I earned an MBA at a reputable school. When I decided to consider to come work for the company, I was inspired by the opportunity that this start-up had the potential to achieve. Their core values are honesty, loyalty and skill, but these are just words. They do not live up by them.

No benefits. No sick time. The outsourced HR director informs you that you have 10 days of vacation but the papers that you need to sign to get the job officially state that you only have maybe 5 days in the first year, 7 in the second year. Paid holidays seem to be not exactly official days off. On the eve of the Labor Day holiday, the owner asked if employees wanted to take the day off or continue working...

The company is run by a husband and wife and their nephew. I've been unprofessionally treated by each of them as well as other executive staff who survived to stay there for 5-6 months (and these two are their oldest employees who are not family). Some things are just too ridiculous to mention. On the first day of work, I was told that the attire should be business casual and they didn't want me to come in my pajamas to work. I was asked on a few occasions to script what I am going to say on the phone word by word, e.g. Hello, this is so and so... I did that and then I was critiqued on what I wrote. When you take notes for yourself, they want to see and review what you wrote, so it can be critiqued. There is a lot of second-guessing on everything you do and a lack of trust.

The work environment in general is very unpleasant. I worked long hours and genuinely worked hard every day. I guess the owners didn't like that I looked stressed, which I did because of many responsibilities and tasks that I had successfully accomplish every day.

Beware, if you are in the interview process for a job at Seva HQ, you are likely to be interviewed by someone who has an esthetician/cosmetology license. My hiring manager didn't know what MBA was, she called it Master of Business Development.

Advice to Management

You gotta live outside the box as well. The world does not spin around you. If you want to grow, you need to learn how to trust employees outside of family, treat them fairly and retain them. When you employ an executive team at HQ, you cannot apply the same hiring/employee retaining practices that you do for hiring an esthetician or a cosmetologist, if you plan to be successful.

Other Employee Reviews for Seva

1. "“Out of your areas of opportunities will come your strength.”"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Career Opportunities + Open Door Policies + Appropriate Communication Channels

Cons

If you are not process driven this company is not for you

2. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Director in San Salvador (El Salvador)
    Current Employee - Director in San Salvador (El Salvador)

I have been working at Seva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leaders are good at encouraging professional growth. Reliable team. Always willing to help each other. Process driving company.

Cons

If you are not a process driving person with great core values this is not the right place for you.