Shaklee - Making a difference despite corporate politics. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shaklee

"Making a difference despite corporate politics."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Don't go me wrong: there are days that the corporate politics are really tedious. But, from what I hear, that's true of most corporate jobs. So, what I love about working at Shaklee is the feeling that the work I do really does make a difference for people and the planet. Our distributors and customers love our products and the company's philosophy - and they brag about it every day. So, while you might not get kudos from your boss everyday, that makes you feel like the work you do matters. And that's what I want - I want the work I do to matter.

By and large, Shaklee people genuinely care, and there's a common, genuine commitment to what we're doing that keeps us going in our cubicles.

Cons

The pension plan is in shambles. The constant changing and cutting back of benefits is not just annoying, but chronically late and miscommunicated.

Age discrimination by upper management is blatant.

The company has definite management silos, and that creates a lot of unnecessary dysfunction.

Salary growth is limited for non-management track staff - which understandably impacts enthusiasm for going the extra mile.

Advice to Management

A LOT of effort goes into rewarding our distributors - which they deserve for driving sales, etc - but barely any recognition for employees. If you can't reward us financially, find some other ways to make people feel good about their contributions. You've got a hall of recogntion for BLs - how hard/expensive would it be to do that for employees?

The silo management is unnecessary and dysfunctional - and can only be changed by executive action. That being said, it's also not working to leave ineffective silo leaders in place AND micromanage them to the point that they are powerless. If you don't like silo management, change the leaders. But get some leaders you can delegate to and let them do their jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Shaklee

1. "Great"

I worked at Shaklee full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None too much to list

2. "Demanded Free Work"

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Shaklee full-time

Pros

It was good while it lasted.

Cons

The manager blatantly asked me as an hourly contractor to put in free work. When I complained as minimally as possible they fired me. Then the management team lied to the Labor Board about why they fired me.

Advice to Management

Stop defrauding your workforce and lying to the Labor Board.