Share Our Strength - Nearly Perfect | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Nearly Perfect"

Current Employee - Middle Management
Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entrepreneurial culture, exceptional benefits. Managers have high expectations and manage through positive means, not punitive.

Cons

I agree with earlier comments about favoritism and lack of clarity around promotions, but a new transparent compensation matrix has already helped manage the expectations of a young and ambitious staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff and show you care about continual improvement.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Well Meaning Non-Profit with some Organizational Issues"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I should start this by saying I do not work at headquarters. Working in the field can be incredibly different (for better and for worse at times). Working in the field can be really rewarding because you end up with a lot of responsibility for managing many aspects of the programmatic side of No Kid Hungry work. You have to be a Jack-of-all-trades in the field, which is great for someone looking for experience and starting out in their career.

I have also found that the company seems to have a lot of integrity. From my view, the leadership is very well-meaning and genuinely wants to do good work.

I will also say Share Our Strength really tries to recognize the value of employees and engaging their employees, even if they fall a little short sometimes. They clearly want to create a fun work environment and keep their millennial staff engaged.

Cons

Again, this is coming from the perspective of someone working outside of DC but from what I can tell, there are issues with operational efficiency that really impacts the overall management of programs and the work environment for employees. My onboarding experience left a lot to be desired, as an example and sort of started me off on a bad foot.

While I understand what No Kid Hungry does, their structure can sometimes seem...all over the place. There seems to be a retention issue as well, which means that field staff are constantly scrambling to keep up with everything going on at HQ and who sits where in the organization. As a result, our team has ended up being fairly self-sufficient. I think the majority of people on our team feel separate from the larger organization, which I think can be a problem. There's a general feeling that Share Our Strength can be overly "bureaucratic" in it's approach to things but I think that simply stems from the fact that there is a lack of clarity around processes and procedures.

If you're considering a position located outside of HQ, I would just be prepared for lots of ambiguity. If you're in the interview process, really seek to understand what your work environment looks like and how you can be supported by staff at HQ. I've enjoyed my work, but if you're uncomfortable with ambiguity, this is a tough position.

Advice to Management

Frankly, I haven't been at headquarters to truly understand the issues there. I think there are lots of fun and exciting aspects about HQ that could attract young talent but to really retain your workers, focus on making sure your organization that is operationally sound and there is clarity around roles, processes, and procedures.

2. "Overall Great Company"

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of paid leave including holidays, summer Friday's and off between Christmas and News Years. Company is good on communication and welcomes comments from all employees. Laid back atmosphere in the office. Great relationships with big sponsors like the Food Network and many celebrities sponsor and support our work and mission to ending childhood hunger.

Cons

For most positions, there is not a clear upward path. Many feel stuck in their positions, thus turn over can be high.

Discover more reviews about Share Our Strength.