Share Our Strength - Nearly Perfect | Glassdoor

"Nearly Perfect"

Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great entrepreneurial culture, exceptional benefits. Managers have high expectations and manage through positive means, not punitive.

Cons

I agree with earlier comments about favoritism and lack of clarity around promotions, but a new transparent compensation matrix has already helped manage the expectations of a young and ambitious staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff and show you care about continual improvement.

Share Our Strength2017-10-10

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

I have the best job in the world. Powerful, mission-driven work with the kindest, smartest people I've ever worked with. Every day I feel so lucky to be a part of this phenomenal organization with so much integrity. It feels amazing to get up in the morning with the goal of helping to end childhood hunger. Leadership team is fantastic. So is the HR team - they really go above and beyond. My manager is wonderful and... I love my team. Great work/life balance with flexibility to work remotely as needed. It makes a huge difference in my personal life. We get a whole week off at Christmas, which is also GREAT.

Cons

Monetary compensation is disappointing, BUT that's not surprising given we're a DC non-profit that needs to be frugal and make sure the money is getting to kids/sustainable solutions to end childhood hunger. I appreciate that the organization is so fiscally responsible but would love to see the low pay off-set by even better benefits/perks. Current benefits are generally pretty good but it would mean a lot to see a... stronger maternity leave policy with more paid time off than just three months. 6 months maternity leave would be amazing, better align with our organizational values, and be much more competitive/attractive in a tight job market with unemployment at an all-time low. It would also help make up for the low pay. Once you hit the Senior Manager level, it seems to take many years before you get promoted (if at all), which is discouraging. But, again, if the benefits and work/life perks were amazing, it would be a trade-off I'd probably be totally fine making.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You are so inspiring and your kindness/care is really appreciated. As mentioned above, it would be nice if the low pay could be offset by improved benefits like longer maternity leave, getting every Summer Friday off instead of every other Friday afternoon, longer sabbatical, etc. With all the studies coming out about increased productivity with a 4 day work week, it would also be interesting... to see that option piloted. To Leadership and HR: Thank you! It is a privilege to work at Share Our Strength and I'm grateful every day. You're doing a top-notch job and it's much appreciated.

Share Our Strength2019-11-13
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment, great culture and teammates, good benefits

Cons

Some people are unhappy as each job bracket is put into a hierarchy of pay and importance in the organization. Those that are on the bottom can feel a bit slighted or “less” important in the organization. You can be a manager and there may be associates making more money than you because they are in different teams.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding benefits, they are not equally accessible to all teams (some can work from home, some can’t, etc). It would be great to see pay increases to match the job market right now

Share Our Strength2019-12-11

Discover more reviews about Share Our Strength.