Share Our Strength - Best Place I've Ever Worked | Glassdoor
  1. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

I have the best job in the world. Powerful, mission-driven work with the kindest, smartest people I've ever worked with. Every day I feel so lucky to be a part of this phenomenal organization with so much integrity. It feels amazing to get up in the morning with the goal of helping to end childhood hunger. Leadership team is fantastic. So is the HR team - they really go above and beyond. My manager is wonderful and... I love my team. Great work/life balance with flexibility to work remotely as needed. It makes a huge difference in my personal life. We get a whole week off at Christmas, which is also GREAT.

Cons

Monetary compensation is disappointing, BUT that's not surprising given we're a DC non-profit that needs to be frugal and make sure the money is getting to kids/sustainable solutions to end childhood hunger. I appreciate that the organization is so fiscally responsible but would love to see the low pay off-set by even better benefits/perks. Current benefits are generally pretty good but it would mean a lot to see a... stronger maternity leave policy with more paid time off than just three months. 6 months maternity leave would be amazing, better align with our organizational values, and be much more competitive/attractive in a tight job market with unemployment at an all-time low. It would also help make up for the low pay. Once you hit the Senior Manager level, it seems to take many years before you get promoted (if at all), which is discouraging. But, again, if the benefits and work/life perks were amazing, it would be a trade-off I'd probably be totally fine making.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You are so inspiring and your kindness/care is really appreciated. As mentioned above, it would be nice if the low pay could be offset by improved benefits like longer maternity leave, getting every Summer Friday off instead of every other Friday afternoon, longer sabbatical, etc. With all the studies coming out about increased productivity with a 4 day work week, it would also be interesting... to see that option piloted. To Leadership and HR: Thank you! It is a privilege to work at Share Our Strength and I'm grateful every day. You're doing a top-notch job and it's much appreciated.

Share Our Strength2019-11-13

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Amazing staff!"

Current Employee - Development Coordinator

I have been working at Share Our Strength full-time

Pros

The most inclusive, welcoming staff. So many fun activities and bonding opportunities.

Cons

Hard to move up

Share Our Strength2019-11-04
  2. "Very rewarding and multifaceted job"

Former Employee - Bilingual Program Coordinator (Cooking Matters) in Boston, MA

I worked at Share Our Strength full-time for more than a year

Pros

Varied role- programming in the field, office admin, event management Supportive supervisors, no micromanagement Learned a lot about cooking, nutrition and grocery shopping Saw immediate impact of work with community participants

Cons

Not in a position to impact change in program Hard to bring in new ideas Little room for growth in small satellite office

Share Our Strength2019-10-16

Discover more reviews about Share Our Strength.