Shaw Communications - Poor Management, no planning and computer system from the 1960s | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Communications

"Poor Management, no planning and computer system from the 1960s"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Purely money. As a Unionized TFR, we're paid very well compared to others in the company.

Cons

1960s Computer system does down everyday slowing the entire company down.
Poor Management and lack of planning hurts everyone including our customers.
We change product lines every 8 months which doesn't give customers any confidence.

Advice to Management

It's seems like we never have a plan. When we were Rogers, we always had a plan and strived to be Cable Pioneers. Now we are Shaw and our processes are from the stone ages and have no sence of leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for Shaw Communications

"I am lucky to have the opportunities to gain accounting experience, however the environment can be suffocating & unfair."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

The following is regarding the Accounting/Finance department:
    - If you get a good team, then it's a great place to work.
    - If you get a good manager who manages in your style preference and supports the team, then it's a great place to work.
    - If you are patient and the managers like you, doors will open and opportunities for professional growth or career advancement will come your way.

Cons

The following is regarding the Accounting/Finance department:
    - Employees are treated differently whether by accident or not (favoritism shows as well as employees whom management either don't like or watch overly carefully).
    - Work load is not evenly distributed among the employees, within the team and outside the team, in fact there are several that are over worked
    - There seems to be a consensus that many are under paid even though Shaw claims they are within the market ranges they do research on.
    - Not all employees are treated with respect by other employees/supervisors/managers.
    - When a mistake is made as we are all human, you are made to feel as if it's the end of the world instead of helping the person understand and learn from their mistake.

Advice to Management

There are many reasons as to why the Accounting/Finance department had such a low engagement survey results. There are two very large factors among those many reasons. One is the salary and the other is work loads.

A quote from Daniel Pink: "Pay people enough to take the issue of money off the table." What is enough? Well let's start with market value and not always at the very bottom of the range.

As for the work load, pay attention. Everyone says they're busy but only some are truly busy all the time and sometimes to the point that they can barely keep up even with working overtime on a regular basis. Those people rarely get time for breaks not even one. The others that claim they are busy I find they spend so much of their time surfing the net including reading the news, talking to people either on the phone or visiting others for long periods of times, and taking all the breaks each employee is supposed to be entitled to. It's no wonder that they're always busy. There's not enough time for them to do all their socializing, fooling around, and chit chatting AND get all their work done within their 7.5 hour work day.

Those that are always busy and work hard I can honestly say resent the employees that seem to get away with slacking off. It's like some are watched like a hawk and others they turn a blind eye and ear to. I only say this as often it feels as though the ones that work hard that take 5 minutes to socialize once during their busy day are told they are talking too much and can't get all their work done. Well perhaps it's not so much that they took only 5 minutes out of their day but that those 5 minutes would not have changed the amount of work they would have gotten done at the end of the day and if that's the case they are over worked. As I had mentioned before work load is not evenly distributed. After all a 5 minute break to socialize when they don't have time to take their allotted breaks through out the day is not bad in comparison to all those slackers who maybe work half as much and take all their breaks on top of slacking off.

2. "The job is great depending on your management."

Pros

big company,good location, work environment is ok. compensation is not bad.salary is fair in the market. internal employment opportunities

Cons

requires high dedication and availabilty; professional competion against more tenured management staff. it is not a really well-managed company. high rates of customer complaints

Advice to Management

create an environment the utlizes both transformational and transactional leadership approaches and celebrate employees as well as customers. customer complaints need to be considered