Shaw Group - Some growing pains as company tries to move beyond just construction. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Group

"Some growing pains as company tries to move beyond just construction."

Current Employee - Consultant III
Current Employee - Consultant III

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time

Pros

Shaw is a large employer and thus has some of the benefits you would expect from any large company. They offer 401k matching 50% of your contribution up to 3% of your salary, health insurance, relocation and sign-on benefits, decent time off, and fairly stable and predictable jobs.

Cons

For a major company, the health benefits are rather pitiful and a source of major complaint amongst my coworkers. The company started as a construction firm, but now has some aspects of facility operations, the contrast in focus of those two aspects can cause conflict. A great deal of emphasis is placed on whether or not things work, rather than how they should work.

Advice to Management

Improve your health insurance coverage and other benefits. The advantage of a company as large and diverse as Shaw is the ability to quickly move talant where it is needed; if your employees want to relocate but see your competitors offering better wages and benefits, they will leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Shaw Group

"its better than being unemployed"

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

steady work ... have looked at my screen for fifteen minutes trying come up with something else to say but got nothing

Cons

must be genetically qualified to advance no communication between front office and craft workers double work leading to more double work

2. "Engineers can get good experience, but few promotions"

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get technical experience.

Cons

There is still no real career path for engineers, at least not at my site. Everyone says, "You get what you get based on what you negotiate walking in the door", and after that it's 2% or 3% raises each year. Supervisors and Managers are poor communicators and often neglect their employees. Upper management appears to make no effort to communicate with employees. Employees dedicated to one site often are unable to move to other jobs/locations within the company because they're "too valuable" where they're at.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to developing your people. Email communications that talk about promotions within the corporate structure are meaningless to those of us in the field. We dont' know who those people are and really don't care. Pay attention to your people, because other companies are trying to recruit them away from you (and succeeding). The job market for experienced utility engineers is huge.