Shell - Great Opportunities Available - but you have to be proactive | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shell

"Great Opportunities Available - but you have to be proactive"

Former Employee - Enterprise Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Enterprise Business Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Shell has a lot of opportunities to move your career in any direction you want, but you have to make your own contacts and plan ahead to move in to another position. As I Was getting my bachelors degree in another field of study than what I was employed in, I Was told I would need to quit Shell and work elsewhere after I got my degree. I remained at Shell for another 16 years after receiving my Bachelors in MIS but I had to acquire interviews as a new college hire through my university (I was already a 13 yr employee at Shell by then) - unconventional method but it worked.

Cons

Not a lot of cons even for a large multi-national petroleum company with 93,000 employees worldwide.
As Shell is a foreign owned company, a lot of the preference goes to employees already oversees, or that work oversees frequently and build the familiarity with the decision makers in UK & Netherlands

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the divisions - not just in teleconferences and webinars, but face to face - get to know the people on "the other side of the pond". I was fortunate to have Sr Management that did that, but other colleagues of mine in other groups were not as fortunate.

Other Employee Reviews for Shell

1. "Fabulous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good Benefits, great compensation, and good people

Cons

Slow decision making abilities and group think

"Huge opportunities for growth and personal development."

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Shell has the resources and a solid business plan for future growth and sustained strong performance. They support a diverse and inclusive team oriented. Shell values its corporate citizenship and is very socially oriented.

Cons

As with most large organizations, it takes significant effort to win support for and then to cascade change within the organization.