Shell - Work/Life Balance and Master of My Own Domain! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shell

"Work/Life Balance and Master of My Own Domain!"

Current Contractor - Recruiter in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very refreshing to see a company with such a healthy attitude about work/life balance. For such a huge corporation, it doesn't feel like someone is hovering over me, asking WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY. I've been here a year and still amazed at how many times I'm thanked for just doing my job. I'm able to contact whoever I need to help me get my job done, without having to go through the chain of command In my position here I actually feel like I'm making a difference and a positive contribution to the company.

Cons

Working as a contractor with a 2 year limit. No degree, no conversion. :(

Other Employee Reviews for Shell

1. "Generic Overview"

Pros

In general, a good paymaster and take care of its employees. Takes account for the inclusiveness, diversity and local cultures and traditions and an equal opportunity employer

Cons

Not much individual attention on employee's career path unlike some of the other leading multinationals unless the staff exceptional. In adequate succession planning and career path definition. Reluctant on cross country postings and transfers esp in the east side of the world.

Advice to Management

Improve speedy of decision making.

"Ethical Oil & Gas Company with high expectations for employees"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, capable co-workers, decent pay and benefits, 9/80 work week, large budget when working on projects as opposed to when working with smaller E&P's, company has integrity and prides themselves on doing things the right and legal way, stability of long-term work

Cons

Working environment and conditions are poor, not much time for a personal life when working here because of the unrealistic work-life balance expectations, buildings at Woodcreek campus are in very poor shape and working conditions are over-crowded, often 2-4 people in small offices or cubicles--or just a table with 4 workstations set up, no room for personal belongings or maps (personal space is a luxury that you won't get at Shell), scarce parking, no team building activities or even a holiday party, expect strict business acumen and high stress.

Advice to Management

Engage with employees more in a human way, try not to foster such a workaholic environment (by sending emails to staff late at night and on weekends, have more social activities for employees to loosen up occasionally, show more appreciation for employees' diligent efforts, work is work but Shell could use more fun activities like the last company I worked for had (I miss the camaraderie and where people treat each other well). Please stop fostering the idea that contractors should be treated like second-class citizens. Stop cramming people into tight spaces and making employees/contractors work in musty, mildewed offices.