Shell - Nice old oil company. | Glassdoor

"Nice old oil company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Their benefits are really good if you've worked there a long time. The work is ok, and the salary is competitive. Everyone does their own little part. Sometimes you get to do different types of work because they have offshored some jobs(and that never works out because of time zone issues, communication issues, etc). Shell cares more about safety/training/compliance than anything else(especially making money).

Cons

It's very bureaucratic. If the benefits are the one of the biggest pros, it doesn't say much about Shell. You'll never feel empowered to do much because you'll be restricted by 20 other departments, half of which have been outsourced. It's not a good place unless you're an engineer. Everything else is getting offshored, outsourced or eliminated.

Advice to Management

The IT department is ruining the company with its bureacracy. Shell is also wasting too much on consultants.

Other Employee Reviews for Shell

"Opportunities for everyone"

Current Employee - Applications Delivery Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Delivery Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to bring my whole self to work from day one at Shell. The D&I program makes that possible, and makes Shell a very attractive place to work for me. The people here make the difference.

Cons

Globalization and virtual environment has made working from home the norm, which is a pro and con in itself. Pro = flexibility, Con = more hours to cover multiple timezones, difficulty building relationships, loss of social fabric / community that we had 15 years ago

Advice to Management

Be willing to adjust if the new workplace model is not as successful in the US as it is elsewhere in the world.

"Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good pay and benefit package, vacation, etc. Good work/life balance, lots of challenging projects to work on.

Cons

Very large company can lead to slow decision making.