Sherwin-Williams - Good Potential, but Employee's Get In Their Own Way Sometimes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Good Potential, but Employee's Get In Their Own Way Sometimes"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Most employees are good people who want to put a good product out to the customers. The facility hits many of their goals and can tackle a project with the best of them. The union can sometimes cause too much of an uproar about non-issues. Overall, they do seem to have good, honest, hard working employees in spite of themselves.

Good pay for the work that is performed.

Retirement benefits are excellent.

Healthcare benefits are average.

Cons

Corporate and regional managers can implement relatively unreasonable initiatives with little/no site feedback or input.

Many things are controlled from Cleveland, not allowing creative freedom for running the operation.

Advice to Management

Implement standards and guidelines, but keep the mandating of certain activities and procedures to a minimum. Allow the good workers you hire to run your facilities to use their brains and make things happen for themselves. If everything is mandated, all you have are drones spouting off mandates from Cleveland.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Good but very frustrating"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

The pay is good I don't have a college degree . Can take time off whenever I want to. Something different everyday. Great insurance. Pretty hard to get fired. Great bonus plan(If you can make it)

Cons

Advancement is very hard unless you are a chosen one. They don't have clearly
     defined ways to get promoted. Some people get promoted to dm i just 6 years while others it takes 20. Seem to be on a diveresty kick. Which is fine but they bend the rules for some. They know who is going to get a certain openings before it opens. Inteviews are a joke. They don't even interview half of them . I was told one time when I needed an assistant you are getting this person. Call everyone and tell them its been filled. They treat you like a number if you don't hit budget you get a 4 on your appraisal. Doesn't matter what else you do. It's what are your sales and profit. They do all these sales qualifing but never take anyone off the list. Every 2 years you get a new boss and they change everything. And price increases wow we had 3 last year and will have 3 this year. They try to tell us people will buy from us because we are experts. Really? All they care about are share holders. They need to get ideas from the field on sales and what to sale. Not from some yahoo in Cleveland.
    We now sell hammers,drillls and SHAMWOW! lol. There are higher up's who expect you to do things they didn't like hit sales budget 2 years in a row.

Hope you like working holidays. Only closed on Thanksgiving,Easter,Christmas and New Years day
    oh and keep your store spotless. And get NO paint on your clothes.

Advice to Management

Ever heard of the show under cover boss. You could learn somethings if you worked in a store. Try to sell 65.00 paint to a home owner. Work on Christmas eve like we do. years ago we were closed on most holidays. Now we are open on 4th of July. I really think you are clueless to real workings of your company. That's why you took down the company blog. You found out there were unhappy employees.

"Disappointing, no opportunities for advancement"

Current Employee - Analyst in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Erie, PA

Pros

good benefits, good pay, somewhat flexible with schedules

Cons

boys club atmosphere, don't promote from within, catty inter-office politics, my district office is not run according to the ideals and values touted on the intranet sites, no training, horrible communication from management

Advice to Management

To the people in the corporate offices, take a closer look at how your district offices and stores are being managed. They way these locations are managed pretty much makes a mockery of what you refer to as your "Culture of Excellence".