Sherwin-Williams - Roller coaster ride. Has it's ups and downs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Roller coaster ride. Has it's ups and downs"

Current Employee - Residential Repaint Representative in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Residential Repaint Representative in Raleigh, NC

Pros

-With a college degree you can move up. The idea of being a DM or DSM is entirely possible.
-Selling to painter's who I personally get along with very well.
-Benefits package and 401K are two good reason to work for SW
-Some lower level employees will usually become good friends

Cons

-Not moving up with out a degree. Maybe to assistant manager....maybe
-Many people find it difficult to sell "paint". Paint is not a glamorous product. It has a lot of complaint and problems associated with it, and the prices keep going up.
-I have been here 4 years and the communication and tension between upper management and store employees/sales reps is only getting worse.
-Stay too long and you will turn into a "Sherwin Robot", (which some people are fine with)

Advice to Management

I think we need to find out what is important to keep this company successful. I feel like we dump money into pointless efforts. It will be harder to retain new employees for long periods of time if they see their SW elders so fed up with the job. I am new, awarded top gun, walked the stage, made bonus money, etc.. All that really doesn't matter. The younger generations are going to work jobs they want to, not because we have to. No extra vacation for the first five years is ludicrous, not to mention the even longer gap we must wait for not much later in our career. Get rid of the Amex and BlackBerry. Get VISA and iPads. Talk to your employees and see what will actually help them.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"They painted a pretty picture"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Excellent pay out of college, benefits, meeting great people

Cons

MTP program creates resentment, mgmt is insulting, women are not treated equal.

Advice to Management

Get in the stores and see what really goes on. Don't "plan" visits.

"Difficult job, your earn your pay in every way, but rewarding helping people get the right product."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The pay is good, and you get as many hours as you want.

Cons

Long grueling shifts, and the times vary a lot. There is no set schedule and without a degree forget about thinking of moving up.

Advice to Management

Put in place more training the employee turnover rate is too high. Place more importance on keeping employee moral up, like better raises. Lastly, put less emphasis on just having college degrees for assistant managers, and put more emphasis on product knowledge your contractors appreciate it more when an employee has more knowledge.