Sherwin-Williams - Working at Sherwin-Williams gives me mixed feelings about career. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Working at Sherwin-Williams gives me mixed feelings about career."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Sherwin-Williams offers good opportunities for entry level employers in the management field. You get to manage on a very personal level since each store typically has only several employees. SW also is very good at teaching you about all you need to know about the paint industry. It is also fairly easy to get off the time you need, so long as you get your request in with enough time. Finally, SW offers excellent benefits and a 401k plan which is very reasonable.

Cons

Despite what I was told during recruiting, it is a long process in getting promotions within the company. I have been with SW now for nearly 3 years and within the whole district there have only been a handful of Manager or Sales Rep job openings in which I could have applied for. I applied and interviewed for two manager jobs and one rep job. All of the potential promotions were also targeted by many other people who were both in and out of the district. Needless to say, I was not given the promotions and was told different reasons why I didn't get the job for each by my District Manager. Basically, there are not that many job openings in a given year, and the ones that are, have many people applying for it. One other thing about SW that bugs me is that during recruiting I was told that the management team was able to run their store pretty much the way they want to. "It is almost like running your own business." Is what the recruit told me. That statement could not be further from the truth. SW has many rules and regulations passed down from the corporate headquarters. Basic pay, store hours, inventory, selling events, pricing, margins, and several others business aspects are all pretty much controlled by SW corporate or district. The main thing that bugs me is SW charges the stores 1% all the inventory they have at the end of each month. This expense affects how your yearly numbers turn out. Also, there is a major push by the District to keep inventory low. However, frequently the stores are forced to take overstock items from the main distribution center. No matter what the products are, the stores have to take these direct shipments, which most of the time are products that do not sell very well and the stores are stuck with them hitting their inventory numbers for months.

Advice to Management

Promotions should go to the best applicant, not the one with the most tenure.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Hard work, Good company, but watch yourself"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Get real world experience. On the sales side of the business, you get a lot of customer contact. If you work in the store, you learn what it takes to run a business with the support of a company behind you. You have a lot of opportunity to move around the company

Cons

The hours in the stores can be long. Most stores are open 7 days a week. Sometimes you are subject to working 7 days a week and this type of work can take weeks to change, Upper management sometimes seems very disintrested in your situation because "thats is what they went though" type attitude. You will see a culture that is strong, but the senior management demostrates many times that they do not care about the people under them, just the only the numbers.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback from the people below you. This can help save money and make it seem less like you are telling people what to do. This is the major complaint by the people on the front line. Bein open on the 4th of July does not help moral.

"America's Paint Company; Join us and take Charge of Your Career"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

Pros

I love working at Sherwin Williams because the career path is open to all within the company based on performance, and not necessarily Degree's attained. One can work in many areas of the company once onboard. For example, after completing the basic training in the Stores group, jobs in Accounting, IT, Chemistry, Human Resources, Marketing, or stay within the stores, and become Assistant Manager, and Manager of a multi-million dollar operation. District Level management opportunities abound for those geared toward Operational efficiency, Human Resource Management, and employee development. Sales management opportunities abound for those who are sales goal oriented, have developed good communication skills with customers, and those that can teach these skills effectively to their sales Representatives.

Cons

I would say that most of the employees who become dissatisfied with the company fall into two groups; Those that try to climb the ladder too fast and have not developed the skill sets necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position they applied for, they become too overwhelmed and do not see the benefit of listening to themselves and guiding themselves to the next step when they are truly ready. The other group of employees who get disillusioned with our company are those that plant themselves in positions that do not suit their particular skill sets and become fearful to switch positions.

Advice to Management

In these times of economic downturn, when we look at cost cutting; within the stores group; lets see if we can keep our store personnel intact, and not cut those crucial part time hours that are needed to keep our service level up. There are plenty of support positions that could be re-assigned to positions that directly support sales growth.