Sherwin-Williams - It has it's days. | Glassdoor

"It has it's days."

Current Employee - Branch Manager
Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

Opportunity for advancement as long as you are willing to relocate.

The pay is decent for what you are doing.

Cons

Increasing micromanagement for stores/reps

To much of your career can rest on who you know, not what your performance or abilities.

Advice to Management

It is time to start listening to your employees again. The hard nosed, bull headed management we have been seeing is driving away good people. Believe it or not, some of us are able to effectively manage our businesses.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

1. "It was good"

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

Pros

It was a little above average to say the least. It was not super exciting but fine.

Cons

The pay you need to work hard to move up.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Completely Out of Touch and Unrealistic Expectations"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Compensation package is pretty decent
    401(k) stock plan is doing very well
    Some of the best quality paint products in the industry

Cons

Completely unrealisitc expectations from upper management - my store has a 20% budget this year

Performance appraisals are ridiculous - the methods scores are tailored to match your sales figures, not on your actual performance

Upper management is in denial about the state of the economy and our overpriced products (they're some of the best products, but we charge way too much for them right now)

Poor staffing - way too few employees for the hours that we're open

Store managers have been forced into being sales reps. Due to having to do 8-10 hours of outside sales calls per week, a two-person store can have almost no overlap between the manager and assistant. Customer service can only suffer from that.

Advice to Management

Employee morale is in the toilet and I can't possibly believe that you don't know that. Employees are stressed beyond belief and you don't seem to care. As long as the stock keeps going up you'll keep treating employees like garbage. Some day it's going to come back and bite you. A lot of great employees are already getting fed up and leaving. I know you think that you'll just replace them with some college kids but I can say from our district at least that a lot of those college kids are washing out. They are seeing what you're doing to the store employees and they don't want to put up with it. Long time employees are getting fed up with it too. We remember the days under the previous CEO where budgets, staffing, and expectation were all realistic and employees were actually happy. It seems like only a change in leadership will restore a sense of sanity to this company. People with experience will leave & are leaving and they will be hard to replace. Keep this up and you're going to find yourself with nobody to work for you anymore.