Sherwin-Williams - Great Company to Work For | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Intern - Intern in Cleveland, OH
Current Intern - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had an excellent work atmosphere with respect to dress code, work expectations, and deadlines.

Cons

I found nothing wrong while working for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Good company, good experiences to be had"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sherwin-Williams is a big company with a lot of opportunity, strong growth and stability. They've been around since the industrial age and will be for quite a while as long as they keep their heads in the game.

I was a co-op student there and I learned a great deal from my mentor and co-workers. They were very flexible and understanding in terms of my school schedule.

This was in the heart of the recession and they saw fit to keep the research groups going strong so they would come out of it even stronger. I got to work with a wide range of innovative products and even travel a bit. I have since moved on of my own accord but I would go back if a suitable opportunity presented itself.

Cons

Typical office politics, so watch yourself in the same way you would anywhere else. Big Company corporate culture can be difficult to grapple with. The company is often driven by marketing (at least my group was) leaving employees to contend with a few ill-conceived products and projects. The words "what in the world are they thinking" came to mind a few times when dealing with marketing.

I left because my particular field was mechanical and not chemical, leaving me little room to move up at the time (they have since improved, so I hear). Chemists and Chemical Engineers can go far here, so can the folks with business degrees.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the marketing folks, sometimes they overstep their bounds. With S-W's business being so dependent upon raw materials, petroleum products etc there could be difficulty in the future for such a large company as the world population grows. S-W will face increased competition for supply, markets and intellectual talent.

"A variety of experiences"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and vacation policies, holidays off and they provide all the tools necessary for the employees to be able to perform their job (laptops, blackberries, conference rooms with projectors, flat screen TVs and network connections everywhere (wi-fi as well) for better meeting experience). My job was extremely rewarding, I had always a great deal of work to concentrate on and continued to grow with every project/meeting/process. I had great co-workers, lots of laughter and chatter while at work, I give thumbs up to Sherwin-Williams for supporting such a relaxed atmosphere, it helps greatly reduce the stress from the work and allows for employees to 'mingle' while working to create great networks and build appreciation for the others around them.
    The dress code is business casual with most Fridays being jeans' day. Travel is exceptional, the company ensures that those on the road are safe and enjoy their trips. I had to travel within North America while employed there and all the accomodations, the arrangements and the trip were excellent!
    The fitness facility is not very new but nice, they offer to wash your clothes and provide towels. There is a tennis court by the R&D facility down by the river, open to all employees to use, can be scheduled months ahead of the season. There is a nice basketball court as well right next to it, it's nice to see people enjoying their lunch hour while getting healthy.

Cons

The growth opportunities are not many and sadly, those that exist get assigned for the most part to familiar faces and employees who network best, not necessarily those that have more experience or knowledge and are more qualified. However, HR is working on a competency matrix to resolve some of these issues and make the process easier and more fair.
    There is a lot of politics happening between the company walls, it reminded me of Survivor. It comes to that sometimes - play the game or be voted off, literally. Upper management is not always easy to approach and talk to. They seem to want to follow the 10-year plan w/o considering the fact that the employees (within their own organization) must come first else no plan will be accomplished.
    I had no 2-3-5 year plan, just a yearly review from my direct manager. If one has all the patience in the world and is not very driven to achieve great career goals, then that would be a good place for them. If you are looking for a clear career path into upper management, then you might have to pick another company. Like many have already mentioned, there are lots of 'baby boomers' and 'old timers' which is in one way good (low turnover rate) but also not so good because it doesn't allow for 'fresh blood' to come in to the company from outside or even from the entry level positions within the company.
    Boys club 101 is offered daily there, again - sadly!!! There are so many highly educated, qualified women stuck in either entry-level or Sr. (w/o direct reports) positions while the 'boys' around get a helping hand to move up surprisingly fast.
    HR - well, I think no reason to comment much, just that the company is as good with them as it would be w/o them. It appears they deal only with the hiring process and firing process, nothing else.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the employees have to say, read through the lines in the yearly employee satisfaction surveys to find the best areas to focus your efforts on. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best mentors/leaders while employed there but I also have had the opportunity to work with rude, self-consumed and 'how-in-the-world-did-you-get-this-job' type of leaders.
    Keep doing the excellent job you are in terms of company goals and strategies! But do not forget that in order to get there, you need the support of the employees which would only happen if they are satisfied with the job, appreciated, and rewarded properly (not all size-fits all rewards).