Sherwin-Williams - Winds of Change | Glassdoor

"Winds of Change"

Former Employee - Third in Fort Myers, FL
Former Employee - Third in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company for many years. Good pay, honest work, and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Now the suits are beginning to micro-manage and destroy morale. Lately they are only promoting from outside... bringing in college grads with business degrees and ignoring employees that already know the business, the products, and the customers.

Advice to Management

Let the store managers run their stores and replace them only if they fail.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

1. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Intern - Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Intern - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had an excellent work atmosphere with respect to dress code, work expectations, and deadlines.

Cons

I found nothing wrong while working for the company.

"Good company, good experiences to be had"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sherwin-Williams is a big company with a lot of opportunity, strong growth and stability. They've been around since the industrial age and will be for quite a while as long as they keep their heads in the game.

I was a co-op student there and I learned a great deal from my mentor and co-workers. They were very flexible and understanding in terms of my school schedule.

This was in the heart of the recession and they saw fit to keep the research groups going strong so they would come out of it even stronger. I got to work with a wide range of innovative products and even travel a bit. I have since moved on of my own accord but I would go back if a suitable opportunity presented itself.

Cons

Typical office politics, so watch yourself in the same way you would anywhere else. Big Company corporate culture can be difficult to grapple with. The company is often driven by marketing (at least my group was) leaving employees to contend with a few ill-conceived products and projects. The words "what in the world are they thinking" came to mind a few times when dealing with marketing.

I left because my particular field was mechanical and not chemical, leaving me little room to move up at the time (they have since improved, so I hear). Chemists and Chemical Engineers can go far here, so can the folks with business degrees.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the marketing folks, sometimes they overstep their bounds. With S-W's business being so dependent upon raw materials, petroleum products etc there could be difficulty in the future for such a large company as the world population grows. S-W will face increased competition for supply, markets and intellectual talent.