Sherwin-Williams - Fantastic Culture! | Glassdoor

"Fantastic Culture!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern

Pros

Great culture- this company really cares about its employees
Competitive pay
Inexpensive benefits

Cons

Technology laggs a bit
Space is becoming a premium

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

1. "Great Entry-Level Job"

Current Employee - Sales in Newark, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Newark, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Market
    Plenty of room for advancement

Cons

Excessive work load from spring til fall

"Money hungry corporation"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Ask way too much of their employees without giving them the staff they need to accomplish anything. Care nothing about the tenure of their employees. They have an "if you don't like it, quit" attitude bc they know they can hire someone new and pay them less. They don't really give raises at all anymore. Work 10.5 hour shifts every Saturday with no lunch break bc we only have enough employees to work two people and we are usually too busy to eat. Extended store hours but will not give you any more employees or key holders to compensate. Think that they can compete with lowes and Home Depot despite being a specialty store. Cap bonuses even though they are still putting your hard earned money in their pockets. They tell you to increase sales one day and then the next day, that's not good enough bc you didn't increase sales. Recently heard of someone getting promoted to full time but having their hourly rate cut bc sherwin didn't want to pay them more annually. Took away full time bonuses so now it is really hard to motivate employees to work hard. Even if they get promoted the raise will be marginal. I've never loved this job but now I hate it so much that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings. They force tenured employees out if they refuse to be yes men so that every one in upper management is just a corporate puppet. Basically turning management t employees into telemarketers by having them do 50+ cold calls a week on top of answering phone calls, unloading trucks, doing paperwork, helping customes, etc etc etc. I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes to eat my lunch during a week day. I am so exhausted every day after work that i have no social life. not to mention, I have worked pretty much every weekend and every holiday for the last 4 years. Do you think people are buying paint Christmas Eve or the on July 4? No they're not but they can bc we have to be there so that sherwin Williams can squeeze every last penny out of people. I am newly married and everyone is asking me about kids but i can't imagine having to juggle kids and this job. There are days i go in at 630 am and dont leave until 730 pm. No daycares are open those hours and my husband also works in retail. Ive heard stories about how the company used to care about and value their employees but those days are long gone.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and treating your employees like dirt beneath your feet. You would have nothing if it weren't for them. Your biggest asset is knowledgable employees and that is the only reason your able to charge your astronomical prices for your paint. Once all of your tenured employees have moved on, you may realize that you can't ignore them and strain them like you do. Nothing is ever good enough for you. You have one goal. Increasing that stock price, no matter the cost.